Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

2003 Avalanche engine stalls, doors not working etc

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2021, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2003 Avalanche engine stalls, doors not working etc

Hey all,. This could be lengthy, sorry in advance lol. So I am at my wits end with a power drain/stall issue of some sort. About 2 months ago I took my truck in for at the time a battery drain issue. I would have to constantly jumpstart my truck even though the battery was certainly not old. They couldn't find an issue as to what the problem was. In the meantime, I got a new battery, replaced the starter and the instrument panel (as it was one of the faulty ones with the gauges not working properly). About a month later as I walked to my truck the doors would not unlock with the remote. Truck would try to start but stall out immediately. Stereo, door locks and windows would not operate. I jumped it and it ran fine the rest of the week and took it to the local Chevrolet dealer. They determined it was a bad HVAC module. I replaced that on my own to save money, and was hopeful problem was solved. Well 2 weeks later it starts happening again. Same issues. After the jumper pack sits on the battery for a minute or 2, it starts up, doors lock and unlock and everything is good again. Well its happened 7 times this past week, so its escalating. Yesterday my friend thought maybe it was a relay, and as he moved a couple relays around the truck started. So I got a new relay, and no luck. Twice today, same issues. He text me that maybe it is a passlock issue. So sure enough truck wouldn't start about an hour ago. I put the key in, but the passlock symbol on the panel went out...it didn't flash or stay on like most of the passlock threads mentioned. After about 15 min, the truck still wouldn't start, doors locks and windows still out. Well yesterday we didn't need to jump it to get it to finally start...but after 15 min I decided to hook up the jumper and after a couple minutes it started and everything works fine. As I sat there, I noticed the instrument panel where the mileage is displayed would flicker "gibberish" while the key was removed and nothing was on. I'm at a loss as to what this issue could be. It seems like a battery drain, but then doesn't. Sounded like a Passlock issue...but also has symptoms that don't sound like it...including the warning light not being on. The relay switch out didn't seem to make a difference. Could it be a PCM problem? Since so many different items are seemingly not working? That it snaps out of it on its own but other times needs a jumpstart? So confused! Well, hopefully someone out there has the knowledge or boredom to read this and respond! Thanks for reading!