Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

2004 5.3 Avalanche, coolant leaking from a broken exh manifold bolt

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2014, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 5.3 Avalanche, coolant leaking from a broken exh manifold bolt

Hi, Im new, I hope this is where I should have posted this. My buddy just called me and told me he has coolant leaking from a exhaust manifold bolt that is broken off. He has also been overheating. He was told that these bolts go through the water jacket and that is why it is leaking. This does not seem right to me. I can see intake plenum or water pump bolts going through the water jackets but not the exhaust. Does anyone have any input on this? I am looking more toward a cracked head or someone that tried to drill out a broken manifold bolt and pierced the water jacket. Thanks

Back Story:
Also, he just had it in the shop 1200 miles from where he lives while he was on vacation. It went in with a p0301 code. He said when they brought it in they found a loose plug in the #1 cylinder. This lead them to replace coils and plugs. They then did a compression test and told him he had a burnt valve on #1 also. Then they told him there was low compression across the whole bank and that the head gasket was shot. They ended up changing the head with one from a supposed machine shop. The same head that has the broken bolts.They also changed the water pump but not the thermostat. When he picked it up he drove it about 700 miles before it started to overheat. Now the mechanic won't answer his phone so I get to take the problem on. Lucky me! Im also trying to understand why a head from a machine shop has broken exhaust manifold bolts how the hell do you bust them off putting them back in unless you're a real brute or a con artist possibly and used an old head.

Last edited by frankcos5483; March 29th, 2014 at 8:36 AM.