Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

2007 HELP PLEASE !! Avalanch Stabilitrak Traction Control on/off

Old February 25th, 2013, 12:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have purchased a 2010 Avalanche LTZ only a week ago, and have noticed this annoying noise emitting from the CD/DVD/Radio/GPS in dash unit, which sounds like the laser pickup is constantly searching. It even continues after the vehicle is shut off, or if you energize any electrical device, like folding the mirrors in/out, that will trigger the searching sound again. It eventually will settle down and become quiet. However, you can still hear it as you drive. Dealer states that the factory direction is NOT to replace the radio or on board GPS unit, and that this is "normal" operation sounds. Has anybody been plagued with this annoying noise? I suspect that it could be in a Suburban or Tahoe with similar dash mounted units, as well.
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

The obvious solution in your case is one of two

One - turn on/up your radio
Two - exchange for a vehicle that does not have built in GPS and purchase a dash mount.

The noise may be unusually loud but it is what it is.
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

My understanding from other connections, dealers in the Great Lakes area are replacing throittlebody position sensors and in some cases the entire throttlebody.

This sensor tells the ECU how far open the throttle plate is.

Seems that there may be contamination getting into the unit or the connections are getting fouled.

I have a spare TB that is the original equipment for my 07 LTZ, the inside of the sensor looks good but the connections look a bit frazzled.

The other TB I have on the truck and have had no issues with the Stabilitrak
Old March 20th, 2013, 8:22 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default traction control problem

Originally Posted by Biloxi58
I have been having issues with my 2007 Avalance Stabilitrak Traction Control turning off intermitingly. I have had my truck to the dealer 3 times on this issue and i am still with the same problem. This started over a year ago and when bringing it in for service there were no codes found for this problem. Today after picking up my truck once again and paying the dealer to replace the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver being one of the codes showing this did not solve the problem and the part removed was still good. It seems to me that the service dept at the Chevy Dealer has no clue on how to solve this problem. Everytime i start my truck even sitting at idle the bell starts chiming and the triangle signand the warning reads service stabilitrak then service traction control (off)
activates within a few miniuts. This keeps going on and off as i am driving and when its in the off position the trans shifts gears very hard. Looking trough this forum i can see that this had been a major problem in the past with 2003 and up and there are many people talking aboutthis issue with their trucksbut i have not come across anyone who can give the answer on how to resolve this problem. Dose anyone else have this problem or have heard of this being a problem with an answer.

I had the same problem with my 07 Avalanche. Took it to the dealership. They found a cracked spark plug wire that was arching, especially when it got wet. This was causing one of the cylinders to misfire thus causing the traction control problem. A new $25 wire and the problem was solved!
Old March 21st, 2013, 4:44 AM
CF Beginner

Hi I am new here at this forum I have a chevy suburban 2007 LT with 260'000 miles
I had the same problem and I Chang my fuel pump and there is no problem at all
Old April 4th, 2013, 10:31 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Originally Posted by JG1960
I had the same problem with my 07 Avalanche. Took it to the dealership. They found a cracked spark plug wire that was arching, especially when it got wet. This was causing one of the cylinders to misfire thus causing the traction control problem. A new $25 wire and the problem was solved!
Just happened to me again (March 2013). Same error message. Turns out one of my rocker arms was broken, causing a cyclinder not to work. My warranty had run out! $2400 charge to fix! Dealership (Emerson Chevrolet, Auburn, ME) worked with GM to pay 55% due to low mileage (80M). Should not have happened to this engine! Paid $1300. Thank you Shane at Emerson!

Conclusion: the Traction Control/Stabilizer alert happens whenever there is a problem with one of the cylinders not working properly.
Old August 30th, 2013, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fixed

I too had all of the same problems that everyone has stated. I too fixed them all myself at a extreme fraction of what the dealer wanted. I did try and clean the Mass Air Flow sensor ( MAF ) and the Throttle Body ( TB ). This worked for a couple of weeks, then same issues. I re-cleaned the TB and replace the MAF and it seamed to do the trick. Stabilitrak Traction Control light stayed off and the hard shifting had ceased. Just and FYI, I did have a few things go wrong shortly after this ( Appox 6 months ) this. My Avalanche started to drive rough and my fuel economy TANKED to 10 MPG!!!! I changed my Evap sensor, fuel pump, and O2 sensors. Everything went back to normal MPG went back to 16 city and 20 Hwy. Hope this helps. Like I said though, dealership wanted a LOT to fix the issues. 1100 dollars for fuel pump alone!!!! BUT, If your not machanicly inclined, DO NOT attempt these repairs yourself. You can do a lot more damage attempting these repairs if you don't know what your doing!!!!
GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old September 14th, 2013, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same error messages to service Stabilitrak and Service Traction Control. Turns out spark plug on cylinder 7 was bad, so I replaced that plug and drove home for 4 hours, no more messages and ran fine. I replaced the other 7 plugs later for added insurance. Been fine for 2 weeks now.
Old March 12th, 2014, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

I received the same message, stabilitrak off, traction control off on my 2007 chevy avalanche without any warning. The engine started running really rough and would shift hard. I took it to a local gm dealership who told me it was a "lifter problem" after spending $160 in diagnostic fees. Called GM to see if they would help cover any part of the $4200 price tag to replace 4 lifters. Waited 3 days and spent more than an hour on hold over those days to hear a resounding NO. Kinda funny that GM would not fix a major engine issue with a truck that has under 100,000 miles. Funny thing is that I bought a brand new 2008 Chevy Avalanche, had it for 28,000 miles and sold it. My dad who I sold it to had the engine explode on him at 32,000 miles... Quality? I have also seen numerous posts about this same problem with the stabilitrak/traction control that was never corrected. My take on it is GM is a greedy company that doesn't care about people who buy their trucks. This is the 4th GM product I have owned and I will never own another one in my life with this kind of customer assistance. My take on it is that the newer GM products are not meant to last. Funny that I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla that I use as a gas efficient work car that has not had any problems....
Old March 14th, 2014, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

The Stabilitrak controls are the programmers goto for "ALL" engine related issues.
There is nothing wrong with the Stabilitrak itself. Many times there is no code associated with this warning and the dealers are grabbing at straws for what to repair.

Currently mY '07 Avalanche 5.3L, if left idling to long with throw the same warning and get a code about a misfire on cylinder #2... brand new plugs. I simply plug in the OBDII scanner and reset the code.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 HELP PLEASE !! Avalanch Stabilitrak Traction Control on/off