Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

2009 avalanche shifting weird

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2018, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 avalanche shifting weird

My 2009 avalanche LTZ will not shift to manual mode and tow haul mode doesn’t turn on. When I step on the gas pretty hard it seems like the transmission down shifts to much because the rpms go way up but the trucks speed doesn’t increase. If I am easy on the throttle the truck shifts perfect. The abs and traction control lights are on and I just replaced the front wheel bearings thinking that might be the problem. Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on with the shifting???
Old August 27th, 2018, 12:05 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant lup
My 2009 avalanche LTZ will not shift to manual mode and tow haul mode doesn’t turn on. When I step on the gas pretty hard it seems like the transmission down shifts to much because the rpms go way up but the trucks speed doesn’t increase. If I am easy on the throttle the truck shifts perfect. The abs and traction control lights are on and I just replaced the front wheel bearings thinking that might be the problem. Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on with the shifting???
Sounds like the transmission isn't working properly. How many miles are on the vehicle? Are you the original owner?
Old August 27th, 2018, 5:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Sounds like the transmission isn't working properly. How many miles are on the vehicle? Are you the original owner?
there is 198,000 on it and I’m the third owner and it’s had all of its Maintenance done on time
Old August 27th, 2018, 11:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant lup

there is 198,000 on it and I’m the third owner and it’s had all of its Maintenance done on time
Still at 198000 miles an 9 years. even if serviced on time, you dont know if the transmission was abused, overheated and so on. It's likely going to need to be rebuilt or have a rebuilt unit installed, IMO. You can also live with it until it finally fails to operate which could be a few years if driven lightly.