Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2015, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same thing

Same issue. 2011 Acadia. Hope to squeeze it in to the dealership tomorrow. Single digit degrees here.
Old March 5th, 2015, 7:13 AM
CF Beginner

Angry Service Stabilitrak, Engine Power is Reduced

I live in Georgia and I was just travelling up GA-400 in a 2010 Chevrolet Impala LT and the "Service Stabilitrak, Engine Power is Reduced" message displayed on the DIC. The car shut down and I lost all power. A message stating "Service Throttle Body" displayed and I lost all acceleration with cars around me travelling between 80-90 mphs. I was lucky that I was able to get the car into the right lane as I lost the ability to throttle. I cut the car off and the car then would not restart...as I turned the ignition the car wouldn't even turn over. I tried to restart the car approximately three minutes later and finally it restarted and I drove to my destination. I have owned four Chevrolet vehicles and I have had problems before; however, this is the worst. The said part is I just purchased this car 3 months ago and I am thinking of crossing over to Dodge as I contemplated when I bought this automobile but this confirms that Chevrolet nor GM is no longer for me.
Old March 9th, 2015, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default Engine power reduce, service traction and stabilitrack

So I left my house this morning in my 2007 and my check engine light came on saying engine power reduced, also saying to service traction control, and service stabilitrack. What do I do? I'm not a car guy. What's wrong with my truck? What do I need to do to solve this issue

Last edited by knowledge_83; March 9th, 2015 at 7:49 AM.
Old March 9th, 2015, 9:43 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
The first step will be to check for any stored codes, post those and we can go from there... the "engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control" can be a catch all for any number of drive-ability issues.
Basically you could have a bad tank of gas as the simplest concern and on up the scale of issues...
Get the codes read, write them down, clear them and see what comes back....
Old March 11th, 2015, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

I have my own obd which I leave hooked up all the time. When stabiltrak and reduced engine power happens I just clear the CE light and it works. Best revenge is to trade this tahoe in and demand an extended warranty on the new one. Dealer has no clue and I have tried the fixes listed in this thread. I am DONE!!
Old March 21st, 2015, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Tahoe Hybrid - Reduced Engine Power, Service Stabilitrack

Have been fighting this problem for months now. Vehicle has 80,000 miles and for the past 6 months this problem has been coming and going. Replaced battery and reprogrammed ECM, PCM and BCM and that got the vehicle working for about 3 months, now the problem is back. Yesterday the vehicle completely shut down while running at highway speeds. Immediately prior to shutdown, the drive train stutters and bucks while trying to maintain 60 mph. Imagine the fear with the code comes up and the engine quits in highway traffice....no power, no power stearing and no brakes!

Got the vehicle to the shoulder and turned the ignition off. Vehicle would not start initially but after about 5 minutes it started and ran good enough to get home.

I am so frustrated with the inability to fix this issue. We just keep throwing $$ at it, and the service department at the Chevy dealer does not know what to do. I am even more frustrated to see how many people on this site are dealing with the same issue.

This is not only a reliability issue, but a safety issue as well. How can you rely on a car that just shuts down randomly???
Old March 29th, 2015, 11:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello well i see im not the only one having problems with the stabilitrack crap! i been a chevy buyer for years and my 08 avalanche does the same thing.Dangerously it done it twice on the interstate and i think either chevy need to recall and fix all these vehicles chevy has now known rep for stalling out and it almost caused a dangerous pile up one day because just so happen the person passing me in the center lane suburban done it also we both sitting side the road wondering why wont chevy fix these vehicles. so i told that family what im about to do may or may not work for your truck.they said they had done the same as other people have gone to the chevy dealer and got ripped off 100 dollars here 3 or 400 dollars for this and that STOP IT!!! chevy dealers you are running you customers away WHICH i agree with them but they said that their truck done it several times past 3 days along they trip from orlando to dallas so i said since i had this issue and everyone wants money but not fix the problem i said i keep a socket here in the door i just take my battery post off (negative) wait a min or so power back up and everything normal just have to reprogram your radio station but you can continue on but why should we have to deal with that chevy know its a glitch in that program either take it off the vehicles or repair it. me i rather them take it off. i gave them my number there on side of the road and told them if they forgot what i told them ill tell them again they must made their trip or got home and got rid of the chevy. well ill say im very DISAPPOINTED with chevy/gm that program needs to be recalled or taken completly off these vehicles because its bound to have a very high lawsuit in the future, because it gonna cost someone life! its very dangerous and need to be removed.

Last edited by DAVID3853; September 24th, 2015 at 2:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Diablaroja (March 16th, 2022)
Old March 31st, 2015, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default service stabilitrak

I have 104,000 and change on my 2010 Chevy Impala LT and the throttle body was replaced last year about 8000 miles ago. Loss of power, engine shutdown. .. the works. I took my car back 2 days after it was returned and they stated no error code no problem. The warranty was up naturally although they paid for the repair. I was told that the computer system in the car had to relearn it's settings for the new throttle body. Stabilitrak error today March 31st 2015, awaiting service appointment and diagnosis. Replaced struts, mounts, springs and coils, fuel injector service, power steering service 2 weeks ago. Frustrating because of surgery last
Monday that puts me out of work for possibly 4 months. I was leaving the VA hospital after having my stitches
removed when I got the error.
Old April 1st, 2015, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

I have permanently solved my Chevy Equinox problem by replacing it with a Nissan. Unfortunately the same issue I started this with started to happen again, and I decided that I wasn't going to go through the same issue of just throwing money at an issue that Chevy service didn't have a clue how to resolve.
Old May 14th, 2015, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Help!!! Need info on similar problems!!!

Originally Posted by Devil Dog
I'm having the exact same problem with my 08 Avalanche LTZ. Service traction control, service stabilitrak, coming on then going away then coming back. All while the check engine light stays on steady. HELP!!!!!
Have you figured out what was the problem? I'm experiencing the same problems with my 09 Chevy Av, service lights coming on and off.. Don't know what's the problem!!!

Quick Reply: engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control