Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2008, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel filter

Hi, guys
I want to replace my fuel fiter but i can't find it under the truck. Is it hidden somewhere along the driver's side or somewhere else??
Old February 9th, 2008, 12:10 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: fuel filter

It could be inside the tank. In that case it will be uber aggravating to get to. I'm not sure about that though. I don't think it is, I thinkit will be under the driver's side about halfway between the tank and the engine. It will look like this:
Old February 9th, 2008, 6:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fuel filter

ORIGINAL: 2004av

Hi, guys
I want to replace my fuel fiter but i can't find it under the truck. Is it hidden somewhere along the driver's side or somewhere else??
Here's some info:

Service VME - Fuel Filter Replacement - Owner's Manual Error

SERVICE VME

This Product Information Update is to advise you of an error in the 2004 Owners Manual Section 6, Normal Maintenance Replacement Parts. This section list the fuel filter as a replaceable part; this is incorrect as gas powered V-8 engines have a lifetime filter built into the fuel sender inside the tank and thus is not serviceable separately.

Models:
(04 Chevrolet Full Size Trucks/Utilities with 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 8.1L Eng ) and ( 04 GMC Full Size Trucks/Utilities with 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 8.1L Eng) and (04 Cadillac Full Size Trucks/Utilities with 5.3, 6.0L Eng) and (04 Chevrolet Express with 5.3, 6.0L Eng) and (04 GMC Savana with 5.3, 6.0L Eng)
Old July 9th, 2009, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

I WAS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.

So, RonH, did you ever get a definate answer. Seems like there is no changing the fuel filter on an 04 5.3 Silverado.
Old July 9th, 2009, 8:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by jrowe50
I WAS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.

So, RonH, did you ever get a definate answer. Seems like there is no changing the fuel filter on an 04 5.3 Silverado.
Here's something interesting. the '04 Silverado 1500 5.3 engine (VIN "T" and "Z") both show an external filter, however the 2500 series "Z" engine shows no listing (non-serviceable).
To me this is a disturbing trend among GM vehicles as more models each year are coming with non-serviceable fuel filters located in the tank.
I tell my customers that own vehicles with these non-serviceable fuel filters to not let the fuel level in the tank to drop below 1/4 so as not to dredge up any settled debris at the bottom end of the tank. Also if they pull into a gas station to get gas and the station is receiving a delivery of gas to go to another station as the process of delivering fuel into the underground storage tanks stirs up sediment which can enter the gas supply. The filters that are installed on the fuel pumps we use to put gas in our vehicles only go so far, and a study was done a couple years back which showed many stations lacked the proper maintenance of these filters, and not changing them when it was due, and keeping them in service well beyond the recommended change interval.