Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

Just bought a '03 Avalanche

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2018, 2:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a '03 Avalanche

2 weeks ago my beloved '97 RAV4 got rear ended at a stop light by a minivan traveling at speed, last weekend my sister and her husband were in town on there way from Missouri to go sailing for 2 weeks at a lake a few hours from Phoenix. Apparently they had a rather scary time hauling their 26' sailboat with the used Avalanche they bought a few months ago, swaying so bad that they could not get above 35 MPH and maintain control. Had a local shop work on the hitch and rebalanced the load on the trailer, about 15 miles away they had to turn back, unlike the Silverado 2500 and Expedition they had recently sold off, this truck was too small. They picked up a Silverado 2500 with the DuraMax diesel, I picked up a 2003 Avalanche which my kids are loving. This big 4x4 with an automatic transmission can never be as much fun to drive as that little FWD trucklet with a manual transmission, but it will be an enjoyable and comfortable workhorse.

Are there any things I should be keeping an eye on with the '03 model at 225k miles? It has the Z71 badges, but I have not had a chance to check the RPO codes yet to see what it left the factory with. I get the feeling I will be getting very familiar with cleaning the air filter due to the fine, talcum powder-like dust we have in a lot of places around here.

So far my only complaint is how easy it is to accidentally turn on the seat heaters, which can take a while to notice when it is 110+ outside.

Rob Lewis
Arizona
Old June 30th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

they are good trucks. Use a oem air filter. Aftermarket and performance filters do not meet the factory filtering requirements.

I always change the trans fluid when I get a "new used vehicle". Fluids are the lifeblood of the engine/trans/driveline. Change them and your good for 60 000miles.
-check for worn suspension parts...ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings..these are things that would have been inspected if a safety inspection was required for registration.
-check for broken exhaust manifold bolts
Old August 13th, 2018, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure if the '03 Z71 has the vortec 5300 in it, but if it does, be aware it will probably leak oil (mine is usually about a quart low midway between changes), and be prepared to replace the water pump at least once. Previous owner of yours probably already had that done. I've been through 3 water pumps in my '04 Z66 Avalanche w/ 210k miles on it.