Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

Location of A/C Clutch Diode

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2019, 11:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of A/C Clutch Diode

I have a 2007 Chevy avalanche LTZ. AC clutch will engage and I will get cold air.. but then the AC clutch 10A fuse will blow. I replaced the AC relay and the same still happens. I want to try and replace the AC Diode before I mess with the AC clutch but I cant seem to locate the Diode on the wire harness. Can anyone point out the location..with pic maybe?
Old June 30th, 2019, 12:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If there is a A/C clutch diode, I'd suspected it would be in the fuse box and have a diode symbol on it. I don't see it listed on any parts supplier for the avalanche though.

How's the refrigerant pressure look when running?

Could be a chafed wire somewhere. I'd trace the harness from the a/c compressor back and see if any wire coatings are rubbed through.
Old June 30th, 2019, 7:55 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I can't imagine why there would be a diode in that system, other than in a control module.
Old June 30th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

when the clutch coil de-engergizes….like an ignition coil it induces voltage in the clutch circuit wiring...the diode is to absorb the voltage spike. I though it is part of the ac clutch ….easy way to check a diode is to unplug the coil and ohm the coil circuit one way then reverse the test leads. one way should be open other way continuity.

its quite possible the clutch coil is shorted. so you would want to ohm it anyways.
Old July 1st, 2019, 5:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. There is a diode. It is located at the compressor clutch connector. I doubt there is a problem with the diode. As was already stated, the clutch coil is probably shorted. I have replaced several coils for this reason.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the comments everyone... I will update with what I find.
Old May 28th, 2022, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Did you ever find it?

Originally Posted by ggchalmers
Thanks for the comments everyone... I will update with what I find.

I can’t find it on my 2000 Silverado. I bought the part at Orielly’s but can’t find where it goes.