Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

Midgate Crossbar Question

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2011, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midgate Crossbar Question

I recently bought a 2003 Chevy Avalanche from a private seller. Since buying, I've found a few problems.

My main concern is the midgate crossbar. I can remove the window, and lower the bottom section of the midgate. My problem is this: when I try to lower both the midgate and the crossbar, it doesn't release. Because of this - I can't have the midgate fully 'open' like it should be. I have to settle for having a bar between the open space, which I don't like.

I've managed to remove the midgate crossbar by itself, but I can't figure out how to take it apart (the plastic cover won't come off without removing the handle - which I don't know how to remove). I had to pry the plastic trim cover back just enough to push the release mechanism to be able to pull it out.

It seems like the handle just doesn't 'grab' when I twist it. I can feel it release when lowering the bottom of the midgate, but when I twist it to lower the entire section, it turns without any resistance.

Please help.
Old April 28th, 2011, 8:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a dealer. They'll be able to determine which is faulty, the gun or the gunner. If it's the gunner they'll show you how to remove it.