Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

My 05 Avalanche-Klunking, Knocking Noises

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2007, 11:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 05 Avalanche-Klunking, Knocking Noises

Hey all- not sure if I am in the right forum but really at my wits end. I have been experiencing some klunking, knocking noises and an overall noise or feeling like something is just loose underneath. I have had my AV into the dealer oh since last September! They have replaced the body mount insulators, checked the joints etc. , checked the steering column and regreased that etc. and just last Monday replaced something to do with the right shock telling me they are certain this is it. Well guess what NOT! Really not sure what to do- this is heard upon making u turns, over hard bumps turning into my driveway etc. Any ideas? Can or will another dealer honor my extended warranty and look at it? Not sure what to tell these guys but I am not going crazy.
Althought I am a chic this was never heard before last September so I know I am not going crazy and the technicians tell me they hear it as well - even took me out in in with them prior to the last time it was in the shop. I feel like my truck is in the shop at least twice a month! Anyone have any thoughts. Is there a TSB website I can search for stuff on my own and tell them what to look for?
Old March 16th, 2007, 1:22 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: My 05 Avalanche-Klunking, Knocking Noises

i work for a dealer and i had the same problem on an 05 avalanche. i replaced all the body mount insulators and it fixed it for about a day i ended up working on this for about a wk b4 i decided to replace all the body mounts upper and lower because it was under warranty. be neways i test drove it and didn't hear or feel the noise again and the vehicle never came back after that. depending on the type of ext. warranty it's prolly transferable.
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:58 AM
CF Junior Member

It has been noted in reviews that 05 avalanche was among the vehicles that has poor qaulity of GM parts. I heard complaints that owners of this usually have a lot of replacements and repairs that makes 05 avalanche expensive in the maintenance...
Old March 30th, 2007, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Yup me again.. guess what not fixed yet. The truck was at the dealer yesterday. Told them I still hear THE noise! The service manager drove with me in the morning and he heard it as well. They are now going to order the intermediate steering shaft as thats the latest TSB and replace that. I am so frustrated with this. The noise should not be there. This has been since Sept of 06 they have not been able to figure it out. I call Chevy to get assistance and all I get is a rep that calls the dealer to make sure they keep making appointments for me to try and find it. I get that this is not an easy thing to figure out but how long you know? Anyone know who I can contact or write to at Chevrolet to get some action? What their rep is doing I can do make appts etc.. I would love to cease making my monthly payments but thats not gonna work!!! I paid a lot for this truck so want it fixed!!! Any suggestions are grateful. Sorry to vent but very frustrated!
Old April 8th, 2007, 5:04 AM
CF Beginner

Well, your problem will eventually get sorted out. The dealership took 6-7 months to figure out the problems on my mother's S-10 but it's right as rain now.