Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

New to Forum

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2013, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to Forum

Hello everyone, I have a 2002 Avalanche that just started to give me running issues. I started truck and went inside my office and when I came out it was stalled. I tried to restart, but it wouldn't start. I do not hear the fuel pump engaging when I first turn on the key. I checked fuses and relays all seem good. The only way it will stay running is if I hit the gas tank with a rubber mallet or spray starting fluid spray into the throttle body.
Has anyone ever had this issue, I am thinking it is the fuel pump and or fuel filter, but I cant crawl under the truck since I have had recent knee surgery. I know from previous experience of being a auto mechanic that once you hit the tank and shock the fuel pump it would stay engaged this is not the case. I have to hit after a few minutes or sometimes after like a half hour or longer.
Old September 20th, 2013, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like you need a new filter and pump pump pretty rough job. How many miles
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ccdeacon
Sounds like you need a new filter and pump pump pretty rough job. How many miles
108,000 miles on her, I know it is a tough job, but I really enjoy the truck and she rides like a dream.
Once my knee is heeled from surgery I will attempt to replace both filter and pump. My nephew is a good mechanic and is willing to help me do this. I also have a good friend who was a Chevy tech for 40yrs and he is going to help as well and I was a auto mechanic for many years as well.

Thanks for the feedback on this issue. I don't know why all these manufacturers love to make accessing the pump so hard no a days. I remember when the mechanical pump was attached to the engine and could change in 15 minutes. I understand the wear on the crank and longevity of electric pumps just don't know why they can't make it easy for us backyard mechanics and grease monkeys. I have always loved working on cars and trucks but these newer models make it tough on all of us.