Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

Rear end noise

Old February 7th, 2016, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end noise

I have an 02 Avalanche with 158K miles. It is making a noise in the rear end. I initially thought it might be a wheel bearing or brakes hanging up but the brakes and 1 wheel bearing have now been changed. I can change the other wheel bearing but I'm starting to think its something else. It runs great, but when I get up to 25/35 MPH I start hearing a growling noise from the back. When I have the back jacked up and accelerate the noise gets faster as the RPMs pick up. I pulled the cover off the rear end and I don't see anything obviously wrong. Does anyone have any thoughts I could check?
Old February 7th, 2016, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

get a stethoscope and have a buddy run the truck with it on jack stands while you check for noise, only other option would be to take it apart an inspect
Old February 8th, 2016, 5:30 PM
CF Junior Member

If the noise changes when you turn the steering wheel from right to left while going down the road it`s probably a wheel bearing. Does it change when you accelerate or de-accelerate? If so, it`s probably in the chunk or a u-joint.
Old March 9th, 2016, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought my 2010 LS avalanche 2 weeks ago and just noticed the same noise. sounds like its coming from the rear area and is more noticeable when going in reverse. Has anyone figured out what the cause is?
Old March 9th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chevymedic670
I just bought my 2010 LS avalanche 2 weeks ago and just noticed the same noise. sounds like its coming from the rear area and is more noticeable when going in reverse. Has anyone figured out what the cause is?
Hey chevymedic670,

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing noise concerns with your Avalanche. Have you had a chance to get a diagnosis performed by a certified Chevrolet dealership? If not, I could definitely assist with setting an appointment. If you would like to proceed, feel free to send a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I am more than happy to help.

Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Search this Thread