Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

Speaker issues...

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2013, 4:14 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker issues...

I have an 08 Chev Avalanche LT. About a year ago, I started loosing sound coming from most of my speakers. It got to where I was only getting the tweeters full time. After the truck sitting in the sun for a few hours, I can start the truck and all/most of my speakers will work until I turn the truck off and start it again. I can be driving down the road and suddenly, the right side will come on fine and later the left side might come on. I first thought was the radio was going bad. So, I ordered a Kenwood radio and I installed it exactly like the directions indicated. The problem is the same with the new radio as it was with the OEM radio I took out. Is it possible the my speakers are all shot and need replacing? I just ordered new speakers and will try them when they arrive. My truck does not have a factory amp. The power comes direcly from the head unit. I can't figure out why I get sould from the tweeters full time, the left side speakers part time, and the right side speakers rarely. Ground issue maybe? Any suggestions would be appreciated...
Old November 12th, 2013, 9:02 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm curious about the factory amp. You can test the signal with a meter at the speakers when the problem is occurring. Do this when the speakers are operating ok and then when they are acting up. Set the meter to measure AC voltage and you should get somewhere between 5-7volts with radio on playing music
Old November 14th, 2013, 2:45 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Thanks Tech for the info.. My truck does not have a factory amp installed. The power comes from the OEM radio. It has been a few weeks since any speakers other than the tweeters have worked. I have checked the speaker connections at the speakers and didn't see any obvious issues. I have shaken the wiring harness while the radio is on and nothing changes. I am lost on this one. I guess it's time to run new speaker wire...
Old November 14th, 2013, 8:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Very odd problem indeed. You can still test the wiring and signal from the head unit by doing the test I first stated. You can also use your meter and ohm check the speaker wires from pin to pin. Remove radio and speaker. Put one test lead at one end of circuit and other at down by speaker on same circuit. Generally you'll see 1 ohm or less. Most circuits test around .3-.5 ohms.
Old July 31st, 2015, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem. Mine has the Bose set-up. Most of the time I have the drivers door speaker and the tweeters working. the other come and go with no rhyme or reason. been planning on pulling the speakers and replace, but have not decided what to put in and or if that would fix the problem.
Old April 6th, 2017, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default Speaker problem

I have an 07 Avalanche and my rear speakers have went out, replaced them with Fosgate speakers and still nothing, they worked great a week and a half ago WTF. I absolutely agree that GM should address this matter, especially if you have on star