Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

Water leaking into cabin from Bed

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2014, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leaking into cabin from Bed

Hey guys, new to the forum. Let me start of by saying I am relatively new to the Chevrolet world, I just bought this truck of mine in October (2004 Chevy Avy 4x4). I am a Toyota technician and am not really familiar with the common issues of these trucks.

Last night after a weekend of deer hunting I was hosing out the bed and I dropped the midgate down to hand clean the back of the midgate. I noticed some water pooling up on the trum behind the rear seats. Today I removed the plastic threshold and the metal cover held down with the T-30 screws and cleared all the leaves out of the drain that is in the front of the bed. I then went back to the car wash to finish my cleanup job. When I was done hosing out the bed, I dropped the midgate to find water pooling in this same area. Pic is linked here.

Name:  WP_20141201_001_zpsda391f35.jpg
Views: 4153
Size:  60.4 KB

I know it doesn't look like much in the pic but before I wiped it up it was a lot more. Is the water supposed to drain here in these trucks? I noticed the 2 holes in the trim, are they drains? If so they must be clogged. Now I did still have that metal cover off the truck when I washed the bed out, I don't know if that helps seal off the cabin, but I don't see how it would. Is this supposed to be this way or is there a fix guys?

I am a hunter and I absolutely, positively, can NOT have any "liquids" seeping from the bed into the cabin. Im sure you guys can understand why, as that would get a little stinky and messy. I am sure I am not the only hunter in the world that owns an Avalanche. I am hoping you guys can help a brother out! I am a little upset with this as I still owe money on this thing and selling it for a silverado pickup is not really an option Whats the word guys? Thanks for the help in advance and I am looking forward to getting to know you guys. Thanks .

Last edited by EFS463; December 1st, 2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old December 1st, 2014, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok quick update. Im off work today so I've been fooling with it because its got me all fired up. I cleared those 2 "drain" holes in that plastic trim and dumped a bottle of water on that lip and it does drain out the bottom, so I guess that means that water IS supposed to come in and drain off on that lip. Guess that makes the bed of this truck virtually useless for anyone that actually wants to use it as a real truck. You cant be getting dirty smelly fluids all inside your truck. This has to be the dumbest design for a vehicle I have ever seen in my life, or I am simply wrong and water is NOT supposed to come in and drain there. Does anyone have any insight?