Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

Head Castings

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2010, 4:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Castings

Hi All

I have a 1993 Lumina with the 3.1 T motor

I ordered replacement heads, and gave them 696 as the last 3 of the castings, but they sent me 651 heads instead, telling me they are identical

Does anyone know for 100% sure that these are identical? - my new ones didn't come with the little forks, so I can just reuse those from the old head, right? But, these are the same size holes for the rods, head bolts are the same, etc etc?

they also didn't come with the stems which mount the connectors, that connect the rods to the valves... is that normal?

Thanks to all on this...
Old April 20th, 2010, 8:03 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Little forks? Sounds like you bought bare heads. For more money you could get complete heads. Doesn't the blow the idea that the heads on the car were wrong?
Old April 21st, 2010, 9:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The newer heads I just got were just the springs and valves, no threaded posts, but that is no big deal, as they can just use the other ones. (stems, rocker arms, and nuts, etc)

I was with the service manager today, and he had a new lower intake gasket there, and we did check them - they fit it perfect...

I guess they can just take the old stems and rocker arms from the old one, and re-use those for the new one... the forks I think were the rod guides, seems like they should fit there as well... god I hope so...

So, lesson learned - never assume anything is the same...