Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

new plenum gasket leaks

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new plenum gasket leaks

Just put all new intake gaskets on and now the intake plenum gasket leaks. All bolts are tight and gasket is on right. What can I do? Put rtv on gasket? Coukdbjt be bad gasket. Only the gasket near firewall is leaking. The front one is not. Any help please
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

What brand gasket? Looks like it is going to have to come back off. Did you torque it correctly? I'd suggest take it to a machine shop put it on a surface plate to see if it is warped.
Old May 15th, 2013, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

It is torqued correctly. I will remove and check gasket. Then re torque...see what happens. Would it hurt to put rtv on gasket
Old May 15th, 2013, 2:09 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by oldtruckluvr
It is torqued correctly. I will remove and check gasket. Then re torque...see what happens. Would it hurt to put rtv on gasket
Either gasket or rtv, not together.
Old May 15th, 2013, 9:11 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rtv should never be used or needed where it was not used from the factory. There is not any cars out there that use RTV on the plenum. What is the year, model and engine size of your car?
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Rtv should never be used or needed where it was not used from the factory. There is not any cars out there that use RTV on the plenum. What is the year, model and engine size of your car?
1991 Corsica 3.1 v6. I took plenum off tonight and reinstalled gasket. Put all back together and now car will not start at all. I'm getting spark and fuel. Wonder what I did wrong...can't even check to see if gasket sealed right... it started before even when gasket leaked a bit
Old May 16th, 2013, 7:47 AM
CF Monarch

Although I don't like to use rtv, with a car that age, and I assume it is used to get to work. If you can't get the gasket to seal I would use rtv. I had to replace the lower/upper intake manifold on my 3.1, used fel pro gasket set, it came with black rtv.
Did you reuse the same gasket?
Old May 16th, 2013, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Although I don't like to use rtv, with a car that age, and I assume it is used to get to work. If you can't get the gasket to seal I would use rtv. I had to replace the lower/upper intake manifold on my 3.1, used fel pro gasket set, it came with black rtv.
Did you reuse the same gasket?
I put all new gaskets in. Now I can't get the darn car to start
Old May 16th, 2013, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldtruckluvr
I put all new gaskets in. Now I can't get the darn car to start
sprayed some starting fluid and started right up. runs great. let run for 20 minutes and no leaks anywhere! turned off and let sit for 20 minutes and wouldnt start again. had to spray some ether again and it started right up. any ideas with this issue?
Old May 16th, 2013, 7:51 PM
CF Monarch

Oldchevy has a great fix for what I precieve is your issue, check valve in the fuel line, contact him via pm.

Quick Reply: new plenum gasket leaks