Blazer Combining style with comfort, this all-new, sporty SUV is the epitome of adventure.

Chevrolet Blazer
Platform: C1XX

4 dr Blazer 5 speed

Old December 16th, 2018, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 dr Blazer 5 speed

Greetings all. Just joining the forum to see if there is some advise on swapping out the automatic and in a 5 speed into a 4dr blazer. I have run S-10s for more years than I care to admit but picked up a pristine Blazer with reasonable highway miles. I and the wife are Manual drivers and as i expect the auto to fail (any time past 180,000 Km seems borrowed time) I will convert the sweetheart over to manual if and when it fails.
I don't foresee any mechanical hindrances by using a Sonoma 4x4 as the donor as everything is the same on the chassis and firewall But. ....

What electrical or electronics will be effected and what needs to be done to get it to think right?

Any experience or advice on this swap is appreciated.

All the best
Old December 17th, 2018, 11:50 AM
CF Active Member

More info please, year of vehicle, engine current transmission.
Old December 17th, 2018, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

I am good for missing the obvious - 2000, 4.3 liter V6, Auto with electronic transfer case.
Old December 18th, 2018, 10:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Shamus
Greetings all. Just joining the forum to see if there is some advise on swapping out the automatic and in a 5 speed into a 4dr blazer. I have run S-10s for more years than I care to admit but picked up a pristine Blazer with reasonable highway miles. I and the wife are Manual drivers and as i expect the auto to fail (any time past 180,000 Km seems borrowed time) I will convert the sweetheart over to manual if and when it fails.
I don't foresee any mechanical hindrances by using a Sonoma 4x4 as the donor as everything is the same on the chassis and firewall But. ....

What electrical or electronics will be effected and what needs to be done to get it to think right?

Any experience or advice on this swap is appreciated.

All the best
Ive said it before:converting auto to a stick isnt going to be easy or inexpensive.
Old December 18th, 2018, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

I expected the nay sayers. Please keep your comments to the technical aspects especially the electrical.

I have done several conversions from automatic to manual in other 2 wheel drive cars and trucks. It isn't magic.The 4X4 Sonoma, S10, Blazer and Jimmy all use the same architecture from the drivers seat forward and sit on identical frames. Chev does that with most of its product lines because they are - well, cheap - and it is pretty handy when converting all sorts of stuff. They didn't build a Blazer 4 dr in a manual because sales expectations were so low it wasn't worth having a manual take up space on the assembly line.

With a donor, cost doesn't seem an issue. a good-wrench rebuilt automatic is $2450 at the parts counter. (you still have to put it in) I can drive home an extended cab Sonoma for $1200, add a new clutch and hard costs are still nearly a grand cheaper. Time - is mine I'm not paying $130 h for the dealer to do it.

I want one, so i will build it, just want to know is someone else has boldly gone before me.
Thanks,
Old January 5th, 2019, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Update -
Drove home a rusty Somoma with a great shifting NV3500 and working 4wd - $700
So far the only things I have identified in this change over is
1) The vehicle needs to think it is in neutral to allow normal rear hatch operations.
Question -
2) If the ECM is told the vehicle is in neutral will the cruise still work as it seems to be speedometer dictated ?

Last edited by Chevy Shamus; January 5th, 2019 at 2:28 PM. Reason: It posted before i was done

Search this Thread