Camaro This classic Pony Car, the Camaro left the lineup in 2002 and was thought to be gone forever, but is made its long-awaited return in the 2010 model year with a 300 HP V6 and a 426 HP V8 SS

2016 Camaro
Platform: F-Body & Zeta.

327 oil leak, can’t find!

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2021, 5:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 327 oil leak, can’t find!

I purchased a 68 camaro with the original 327. Previous owner said it had a small oil leak after running. I assumed it would be the rear main but after further inspection the oil actually comes down the firewall above the transmission and drips down onto the exhaust. I also found it comes down the block to the oil filter on drivers side and passenger side to starter. It is enough that it’s even in the flywheel dust cover. I pulled that off and cleaned it, including spraying underside with brake clean then added dye to the oil. Tonight I found a little oil at the back of intake manifold but no other obvious place it was coming from so I started it up. Once warm I could smell the oil burning on the exhaust meaning it’s running down above the transmission again but I could not find any oil coming from the back of the block with a black light and mirror. It is tight back there but I feel I did a descent job of looking.

Where can the oil be coming from that it would run down the block above the bell housing and also run down the body under the doors and onto the exhaust? It would have to be spraying for that to happen right?
regards
Hudson10

https://192168101.link/

Last edited by Hudson10; November 24th, 2021 at 2:16 AM.
Old September 17th, 2021, 7:14 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Hudson10
I purchased a 68 camaro with the original 327. Previous owner said it had a small oil leak after running. I assumed it would be the rear main but after further inspection the oil actually comes down the firewall above the transmission and drips down onto the exhaust. I also found it comes down the block to the oil filter on drivers side and passenger side to starter. It is enough that it’s even in the flywheel dust cover. I pulled that off and cleaned it, including spraying underside with brake clean then added dye to the oil. Tonight I found a little oil at the back of intake manifold but no other obvious place it was coming from so I started it up. Once warm I could smell the oil burning on the exhaust meaning it’s running down above the transmission again but I could not find any oil coming from the back of the block with a black light and mirror. It is tight back there but I feel I did a descent job of looking.

Where can the oil be coming from that it would run down the block above the bell housing and also run down the body under the doors and onto the exhaust? It would have to be spraying for that to happen right?
Check valve cover gaskets.
Old September 17th, 2021, 7:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

A little trick those of us in the trade use is to clean the area and spray a little talcum powder around it and observe where the leak is originating.
Works for various leaks that are difficult to pin down.