Camaro This classic Pony Car, the Camaro left the lineup in 2002 and was thought to be gone forever, but is made its long-awaited return in the 2010 model year with a 300 HP V6 and a 426 HP V8 SS

2016 Camaro
Platform: F-Body & Zeta.

89 camaro wont start, cant figure it out.

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2008, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 camaro wont start, cant figure it out.

I guess i'll get right to the point. 89 camaro rs, v8, 305, 5.0L

It wont start, went to go get gas one day, and it wouldn't start back up. This has happened to me many times with this car, but usualy, it does somthing so I can have an idea what it is. It was just dead. I would turn the key, and absolutly nothing. I figured that it was the securty device on the ignition, which has happend before but i fixed it. So i pulled it apart, the wire was still soldiered on(after it broke last time) but i figured, maybe if i resolder it, it would work....nope. So now im stumped.. About two years ago, i had a crappy starter, if it got wet it would do this same thing.. but I have already fixed that, put a brand new starter in. If the starter was shot, would it still do somthing, or would it be like this? I can't think of anythign it might be.. well accept the ignition. You guys know anyway to start the car with out using the starter? Or with out using the ignition? I want to be able to rule those out. Thanks in advance you guys.
Old November 8th, 2008, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 89 camaro wont start, cant figure it out.

It's your starter. I had a bad starter wiring (not a bad starter) and it wouldn't turn over.
Old November 8th, 2008, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

i had a feeling that might be it. Know any way to bench test it, to see if its the starter and not the wiring, or vice-versa?
Old November 9th, 2008, 6:49 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

take a screwdriver, crawl underneath the car, and cross the little wire over with the big wire. Or run a jumper wire from the battery and touch it to the small wire. the starter should turn the engine over.

Have you checked the battery yet?
Old November 9th, 2008, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

i know its not the bat, there is still plenty of juice. Plus its brand new, not that that matters with camaros ;-) Thanks though i'll try that when i get a chance.
Old December 7th, 2008, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Just because the batterys brand new dosent mean it has juice, there are soo many thing in that car that could be making the battery drain. But your probobly not too stupid so ill take your word for the good batt.(do your headlights come on?)

Im agreeing with the other guys on this though, just make 110% sure that your battery is connected correctly to your starter.