Camaro This classic Pony Car, the Camaro left the lineup in 2002 and was thought to be gone forever, but is made its long-awaited return in the 2010 model year with a 300 HP V6 and a 426 HP V8 SS

2016 Camaro
Platform: F-Body & Zeta.

Ignition changed, NOW the alarm wont stop going off

Old April 25th, 2011, 12:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition changed, NOW the alarm wont stop going off

We changed the ignition on our 1996 Camaro and had the key programmed, now the car wont turn over, the alarm keeps going off like the key is not disengaging the anti theft device. How do I either bypass the alarm to see if the new ignition works to start the car or even better how to get this problem to stop without bypassing the alarm? PLEASE HELP!!
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure I understand. What was the original problem? What is this "ignition" you changed and why? Who programmed the key and how?
Old April 25th, 2011, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

The ignition was the original problem. A wire had torn loose. I went to the Chevy dealership in town and they gave me an ignition and programmed the key using the old key. But when we were looking at what had happened originally we set the alarm off and disconnected the battery. Now that installed the new ignition the alarm goes off and of course no power is getting to the car because it thinks it has been "stolen". Now that I have been thinking about this all day I think I need to reset the alarm. I think this because when I turn the key, the radio comes on like the car is reading the key correctly, but if the alarm was tripped we will have to reset it to get this problem fixed. Correct?
Old April 25th, 2011, 5:21 PM
CF Veteran

I still don't know what you mean by "ignition" and how they "programmed the key." Perhaps you can scan the work order/receipt and then post it. Anyway, yours has the PASS-Key II system. Either the key get accepted by the Theft Deterrent Module or not. There's no possible relearn procedure. Aren't there any automotive locksmiths in your area that you can call?
Old April 25th, 2011, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, EinST. So if they programmed the key correctly the car should just start? We purchased a new "ignition lock cylinder and keys" to be exact. The old one was obviously not in working condition. The man at the dealership took the old key and scanned it in his "code detector", in his words, got the code of the old key and said he programmed the new key and said that was it. We replaced the old one and like i said the radio comes on like the key is being read, but the alarm keeps going off and not allowing the car to get power to turn it over. So until the alarm can be deactivated by turning the key we cant move further to check the starter cylinoid wire to see if the starter is getting any juice to it. Please let me know if I am on the right track here. I am sorry to confuse you but i appreciate the help.
Old April 25th, 2011, 6:21 PM
CF Veteran

The radio turning on doesn't mean anything. A thief is welcome to sit and listen to the radio until the cops get to him. Now, the PASS-Key II system is based on the keys having resistor pellets of different resistance values. You may want to measure the resistance across the pellet on the old key and compare it to the new keys. I'm thinking either they don't match or the lock cylinder is not connected to the BCM correctly.