Worst customer service ever!

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2017, 7:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

i already hate myself for posting one more comment.

everyone can have an opinion.

Lets all agree to stop posting. Maybe a moderator is nearby and will close it.
Old August 27th, 2017, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Am horrified to learn the same about GM Service !!

After only owning "my new 2011 Chevy Aveo" for one year - bought it with only 5,600 on it.. bought a 5 year 5 Star supposed GM top of the line warranty - for 2 years to start that cost me over $2,400.00 for 2 years coverage with ability to extend to 5 (100.00kms); Only to learn in spite of the supposed problem being the (took 5 days to diagnose) OnStar Module -- that my 5 Star warranty does NOT Cover OnStar??? Here is a copy of what I posted today on the Chevrolet Forum thread. I don't know if it's even been published yet.. I really hope someone can give me some advice because at the moment my car is being held hostage.. I live in a very rural area and am unable to go anywhere other than a one kilometer walk to a small grocery store. Am a senior - have had to cancel doctor and dental appointment - there is no taxi service here - am new to the area and only have one 87 year old neighbor who unfortunately has a very bad heart condition, so I don't want to stress him out with my problems.

"Dealer claims I need to pay for a new module a $1,400.00 repair (car only has 14000, kms on it.. a 2011 Aveo. OnStar came with the car.. I do NOT use it - given OnStar claimed 1 month after I bought the car and tried to use OnStar and have it changed to my name because the dealer failed to do it when I purchased the car etc... that I needed to pay another $400.00 to have the software upgraded - something only Canadian customers were being charged to do by the way. Since I don't need nor want the Onstar features.. I declined - got a pay as you go cell phone for emergencies instead. In any event suddenly my car won't start.. had it towed to the dealer - who after 4 days waiting to get it diagnosed.. they say it's the OnStar module that was totally burnt... and I need it to get my car fixed so it starts. First and foremost I do NOT want OnStar - period... and in spite of the head office GM Rep telling me I do NOT need it - and they can easily fix my car without using the Onstar Module to get it started.. the Service Manager is telling me that that is Not true and that GM Head Office is mistaken. My GM Warranty I also learned a 5Star top of the line Warranty to boot that cost me $2,400.00 for TWO Years... (have had the car a year) .. I suddenly am told does NOT Cover OnStar.... and yet am told they can't repair the car without it!! What happens if that freaking OnStar burns to a crisp again? Please will someone - help. I have seen many examples on YouTube on how to remove/disconnect OnStar and of course they have no problems starting their cars.. I have learned in this past week that this particular GM Dealer has a horrific Service repair reputation.. (Just moved here last year.. from urban million+ City to Rural.. biggest City nearby less than 25,000 and this GM dealer has a total monopoly and they clearly don't give a rats *** about its customers... Like the Service Manager said to me "If you don't like it - go somewhere else.. knowing full well they currently have my car held hostage.. (want to bill me over $700.00 alone.. to freaking diagnose the car !! and then another 400.00 + for the OnStar Module and then another $300.00 to install it!"

Last edited by Didi Miesen; August 27th, 2017 at 1:38 PM.
Old August 27th, 2017, 3:32 PM
Super Moderator

sorry to hear about that: here is my take.

the dealer does not control what is covered from a warranty package. the packages are 3rd party. Many dealer would like to take that money you spent for warranty, keep it themselves instead of passing most of it to the 3rd party, but provide a bumper to bumper warranty....legally they cant do this in canada...so the 3rd parties get rich and the dealer deals with angry customers.
warranty packages are full of fine print. They can vary as to what they cover depending on the warranty company (not the dealer) whose package you bought. read through the find print and see if the VCIM (vehicle communication interface module) is covered. this is the onstar module.

the dealers job is to diagnose the problem. they have done that. If you feel their diagnosis is incorrect your options are to find someone else to diagnose it. Unfortunately, you will have to pay for the diagnosis. I would argue that to get that diagnosis time reduced (700$ diagnosis = 6hrs labour time) but you will have to pay something...then go somewhere else and pay again.

it could be possible for this module to cause a no start...it is part of the CAN BUS....a computer communication network. A problem with the module might bring down the bus network. Even if you dont use the onstar service...the module is still built into the network and information passes through it to other modules on the bus; so your stuck with it.

Last edited by tech2; August 27th, 2017 at 3:38 PM.
Old August 27th, 2017, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

Many thanks for your reply. Please note I was told by the GM dealer it was a GM Warranty only to find out a year later it was a third party warranty done of course without my knowledge or consent. That though is not my major concern at the moment. It is with the GM dealer who of course has violated CAnadian law - by the incredulous diagnosis overcharge - all done without my knowledge or permission. Would never have consented to such an obscene amount to diagnose a problem to begin with. After all they have all the GM diagnosis tools right there .. another supposed 'freaking feature etc...' and only a grossly inept/unqualified... GM certified mechanic would take 7 hours to reach a diagnosis - especially in this case where GM has a record of the ONSTAR VIC Module Warning supposedly on hand. no? (SEnt to all GM dealers and ONSTAR customers in 2011 right after the car came out!!) **Found this out after I posted this plea for help... in case you haven't read my reply to another reader on this thread who was kind enough to respond... like you Also taking it to another dealer to have it diagnosed is out of the question in this area because the same owner owns all 3 GM dealerships.... and has a 'lock on the GM diagnostic material. Have also learned that this GM dealer has a horrific 'service/repair' reputation especially when it comes to senior citizens. Example: Sold a senior a full coverage very expensive extended warranty and told him he would have to have his oil changed every 60 days to keep the warranty in effect, which he did until his grandson discovered that can of worms. As said -- am only finding out about their reputation in detail now and will be investigating it much further - especially once I get my car back. Of course will go to another repair location like Canadian Tire (that has a great reputation here) to keep the car serviced and maintained (warranty covers other than GM certified mechanics) but again if the GM diagnostics is necessary one is held prisoner - and in this town to be robbed blind on diagnostic charges alone. It most certainly totally violates GM'S Code Of Ethics - to say the least... let alone Canadian Consumer Laws . My warranty company is the one in fact that told me to get in touch with GM head Office and that they'd be ready to accept another quote if GM dealership finds out it was Not the Onstar that caused the Onstar to fry... or that they can get the car started/repaired without having to replace the Onstar Module. As GM Head Office told me they could... but this GM dealer denies it. Looks like a long story is ahead .... Good thing I'm retired and have ample time to devote to this unlike others being forced to go through the same thing while working full time. Will keep you up to date in my follow up posts. AGain thanks for the response, it means more than I can express.
Old August 28th, 2017, 7:24 PM
Super Moderator

if you know of a technical service bulletin that addresses this issue; bring that to the attention of the service manager.
Old August 29th, 2017, 2:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm disgusted & sorry for you troubles
Old August 29th, 2017, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

Many thanks for your sentiments. Am as said learning even more horror stories about this dealer and haven't even begun to concentrate my energies on their reputation with what I can only describe as their victims. It may sound dramatic to describe their customers that way; but given the area, a car is an absolute must because there is no public transportation and other than a small COOP (half a mile walking distance) stores are miles away. Dealer told me they have "No loaners", and the closest car rental co is 40 km's away. To date they've had my car a week... last thing I was told by dealer was .. the module .."usually takes 10 days to arrive, but I got lucky because he was able to find me one that would only take 3 days to arrive, so should be here by Wednesday... so if I'm lucky I should have the car back on Thursday along with a bill for $1,400.00 ??? I have also learned that as "TECH 2 suggested" above, there actually IS a "Technical Bulletin that not only addresses the issue... it clearly states this model module is specifically for my car model and was found to be defective and that OnStar will pay for its replacement etc...!! The document ID is: 2711494 (in case you own the same model car... Chevy Aveo 2011. The bulletin was released Sept., 12, 2011. I need to repeat my thanks and appreciation for the help I'm getting on this page. It's proving to be invaluable to say the least.
Old August 29th, 2017, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

A million thanks for your suggestion tech2. Have learned there actually IS a "Technical Bulletin that not only addresses the issue... it clearly states this model module is specifically for my car model and was found to be defective and that OnStar will pay for its replacement etc...!! The document ID is: 2711494 The bulletin was released Sept., 12, 2011. I had asked the dealer if he had checked to see if he had accessed any recall notices etc.... on their system - he said he had, which he clearly did not. As of yesterday haven't heard one word from him and I left a specific voice mail about this module recall this morning, have still not received a response. He also told me that .."normally it takes 10 days to receive the part, but that he'd found one that would be delivered in 3 days... I had said to his subordinate that I'd if necessary pay to have a part overnighted after she told me the same "it usually takes a week to get a part".. tale. Never in my life heard of such a thing. Am not living in the arctic bush area for goodness sake. Am 45 minutes from Digby Nova Scotia. Am refraining from giving my exact location until research is completed. I need to repeat my thanks and appreciation for the help I'm getting on this page. It's proving to be invaluable to say the least.
Old August 29th, 2017, 8:50 PM
Super Moderator

You have brought up a good point about diagnosis time billing. As far as legallity: no law was broken. they billed you for the labour time they had into it. I do agree it was alot...anyone would be shocked at that diagnosis cost. Usually, the shop eats a big portion when diag time gets that long.

If i were to go into a shop for diagnosis; I specify 1 hour diag time...if they cant find the problem in 1 hour...maybe they are not the best choice. that being said...many problems require more than 1 hour to solve. It all depends on the techs familiarity with the vehicle and knowledge of the system he is working on.

Gm shops do not require every tech to have gm factory training...It is based on the training of the shop as a whole...so its possible all the factory training was done by 2 guys...the others receive no factory training. Dealer principles do not want to train every employee as its very expensive.

I tried to search the document but could not find anything for the number you listed. Can you pm me the document.
Old August 30th, 2017, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

I have since learned that in fact yes there are consumer protection laws that cover diagnosis time billing... notwithstanding GM'S Code Of Ethics procedures... etc. Here' another ID# on the document.. #11-08-44-003 the SM also found it and in fact already spoke to oNStar and is putting another call through to them again. I must say he was much, nicer to me yesterday. We actually shared a laugh, when I let out the f*** word by mistake. Of course I apologized... but it was a relief to hear him break out in a spontaneous laugh - and it certainly helped lighten the atmosphere of the conversation, to say the least. I have to sign off for the time being... but will be happy to pm you the document if you can tell me how to do it. I printed out a hard copy - but here is the web address in the meantime. http://gsi.xw.gm.com/newsi/showDoc.d...711494&from=nb Will get back to you either at the end of the day or tomorrow if you like.

Quick Reply: Worst customer service ever!