Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

1987 caprice rear end swap

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2016, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 caprice rear end swap

Hey all,

I have an 87 caprice 2 door, i just crapped out my rear end. figured id do some upgrades on the car anyway and get it to where i want it to be. Im about 99% positive i have the 7.5" 10 bolt one wheel wonder rear in the car, and i want a posi, So i went ahead and bought a rear end out of a 1993 9c1.

I understand im going to have to replace the driveshaft, and then deal with the bolt pattern on my rims, and then upgrade the car to work with the disc brakes. All of this was anticipated, and im okay with it.

My question is this, after doing a brief search through autozone and pepboys all the brake rotors that are 11.5" say front, theres no real difference between front and rear rotors right? Im probably looking at replacing both the rotors and calipers i just wanted to be sure theyre not different.

Anyone ever done this before? and if so any other little things to worry about and look at while im at it?
Old February 19th, 2016, 8:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Caprice rear end swap

I'm not sure what a 9c1 is but you can go on Rockauto's site and look up the part numbers of what you are going with and compare them to the part numbers of what you have. If they are different, then the rotors are different. Normally front and rear rotors are different on all GM cars usually because of steering on the front and emergency brake set ups on the rear.