Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

83 Caprice Classic Wagon questions

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2009, 2:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 Caprice Classic Wagon questions

Hello guys,

I found a good deal for an '83 Chevy Caprice Classic Wagon, and i was wondering where to look before buying. Any common known problems?

I also would like to know what type of transmission (automatic) this car uses, as i am well aware that being this old, the tranny may be faulty. By this i mean, the transmission code (like 4R55E for the ford explorer).

The car has a 5.0 l V8 engine, with automatic gearbox. It is white with dark brown interior, tinted glasses, power windows, power locks, air condition, cruise control, etc.

Thank you very much,
Bogdan
Old September 30th, 2009, 8:35 PM
CF Junior Member

First of all...how many miles are on it? Second...do you know the maintenance record of the car??
According to my source, the wagon came standard with a 3 speed automatic and there was an optional 4 speed overdrive transmission. Unfortunately it ddin't have the model/series codes.
Just make sure that the trans fluid is clean and that it shifts properly. See if you can get the maintenance records for the car. Since it is a wagon, check to see if it was used for towing....if so, then you could have some definate problems.....
Take your time and check it out....you'll do fine!
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:29 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, being an import car, maintenance record is unavailable. it has around 100.000 miles. I don't know for sure if it has overdrive. As far as i could see, it hasn't been used for towing. It belongs to an old guy, which used to be a cop.
Three speed automatic. Hmm then i suppose it won't go too fast
Another question. Spare parts are they hard to find in us? And what about the prices. I have some friends in the States and they could send me something if needed, but i want to know what to expect.

Thanks