Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

93 CAPRICE starts and idles fine but stalls after driving few mins

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2017, 3:23 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 93 CAPRICE starts and idles fine but stalls after driving few mins

I have a 93 Caprice 305 with 230k miles. It has been a good runner for the 9years Ive owned until the last 5weeks of chasing this problem. The check engine light would go in and out but never able to catch it I was doing regular upkeep an used some Marvel Mystery Oil and it ran great for a cpl days then it was idling rough and died after I was sitting in the heat(100°) with the AC on for about 30mins. Then twice in 2days it died @redlight but started right up and drove fine except twice it acted like it was about 2 die when I made a sharp turn. Next morning No Start. Acted like it was about to but never did. I changed the fuel filter that was completely clogged but still NO START so I looked around some more. Cap,Rotor & Button less than 2years old looked fine but I took Ignition Control Module to parts store and it tested bad. After I replaced still NO START. I then replaced old Spark Plugs & Wires and taped the 2 cracks in Vaccum Hose back together and it finally started and ran pretty good except over 45,50 would run rough. After I drove about 15miles and on my way home it stalled. After I towed it home I remembered I had similar problem years ago so I replaced the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. It started right up and idles fine but stalls after I drive a couple mins or miles. I finally caught the Throttle Position Sensor Code and thinking that makes perfect since but Im still having trouble getting started and when I do it idles fine for as long as I want. I've tried wiggling wires while its running but as soon as I start driving its not long b4 it stalls out. Its even shorter distance now too, only a cpl mins. I've clean IAC Valve as well as Throttle Body. I think EGR is working because when its idling and I push in on it, it starts to idle rough and almost stall. One thing about Im wondering about is that I found the EGR Solenoid apart and lying back by distributor. I put spring amd pintle with metal cap back in how I think it would go. Only pics I can find show black plastic piece over back of it though. Im open to any and all sugestions. Thanks in advance and sorry for the length I just wanted to be thorough and avoid things Ive already tried. Thanks again for any help....