Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Black smoke and rattling door panels

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2011, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black smoke and rattling door panels

i have 1993 Chevrolet Caprice Classic. It's got 192000 miles on it, i got it from my dad. I have got to admit, I am in love with the car. These cars were one of the best ever made.
Well, coming to the topic, the problem is where I live i can't find new stuff for it like dashboard, steering wheels etc. Most of the engine parts are available.

Well my car runs quite smoothly, 0-60 takes 11.2 secs. But if I rev it, at high rpms (possibly 3500), it gives little amounts of black smoke. Is this bad?
And another thing is, when going on bumps, something in the door panels rattles, which drives me nuts.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help.
Thanks,
ChevyBubble93
Old April 11th, 2011, 8:16 PM
CF Beginner

Smile impala

hello, i can tell you the black smoke is either carbon buildup from sitting a long time or rings. if it does not smoke at all till you rev it up big then rule out rings. if white smoke comes when you start it then dissapears its valve guide seals. as far as rattling in the doors sounds like the track has broke loose for the window. pin it down to which window it is and take off door panel to inspect. hope this helped you... happy motoring
Old April 12th, 2011, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks man!
So if it is the rings, should i replace them?
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Talking Rings

hello,
only replace the rings if it smokes all the time and will not stop at any speed. watch out not to over rev the engine which is easy to do with no tachometer. there is an old saying ...if its not broke don.t fix it. i would change the oil then the fuel filter clean out carb with carb cleaner put in new plugs cap rotor and wires make sure transmission fluid is red and if not do a tranny filter change,ten hug your dad and tell him thanx for a real car...lol...glad i could help had the same car years ago. sorry i got rid of it.was young and foolish... .
Old May 16th, 2011, 1:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Most of all the trim parts have been discontinued by GM you have to source the junk yard or Ebay.VPI my still have some left over,they buy GMs old discontinued stock.
CC
Old July 2nd, 2011, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default I've said it before

Is threre a loss of power = rings

Only smokes when getting on the freeway...when you kick it down = carbon build-up. Like 11157 said do all that and some freeway driving. All of that should clear it up. And don't go for the AutoZone brand. That crap will clog up the return holes (read the lable, that stuff is recycled). Not even good enough for your lawnmower.

A puff of smoke on start-up = valve gaskets. No biggie.