Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Caprice Classic Problem

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2015, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caprice Classic Problem

I am visiting my son who lives in British Columbia. He has a 1976 Caprice Classic Coupe which I have been using when I visit him. It has been standing since my last visit and today I tried to start it having replaced the battery. However, the key will not turn (although it goes in and the door warning buzzer sounds). Furthermore the gearshift (in "park") will not move either.

Has something jammed in the steering column that is stopping these controls (the steering wheel turns) or is there some safety interlock that I have inadvertently set.

Any help would be appreciated as I want to get the car running so as to sell it to another enthusiast - preferably one who lives near to Hedley, BC.

I forgot to mention that, although the gearshift is in "park", the steering isn't locked. I have tried moving the steering just in case the steering lock was jamming things, but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Last edited by Richard English; May 16th, 2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Additional information.