Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Caprice not starting

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2014, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caprice not starting

Just purchased an as is 1985 Chevy Caprice. Guy told me he had replaced the heads on it and the timing was off and that there was a gas leak and some wires had gotten burned. (looked easy to replace ). Pretty much seen the source of the leak. Someone had replaced the fuel pump with an aftermarket fuel pump and it had a normal type of hose that you will see with something dealing with coolant (stupid). I replaced that hose that was fried and when i tried to start it it will turn over and everything but won't start. After I replace a couple of those wires do you think it will start or could it be something else?
Old February 16th, 2014, 7:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Well there's a lot to factor in, does it spudder? is it getting fuel? is there spark? and is there compression? just some things that may just cause you trouble, fortunately 305 and 350 parts are everywhere and B-body parts are very common too
Old February 16th, 2014, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

Ok did some research and they replaced the fuel pump with an electric one and is under the hood not near the tank. would I have heard the pump when I turned the key? And I didn't get any of that it just constantly turned over. So yea seems like a problem with fuel and maybe spark.
Old February 17th, 2014, 3:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Yeah you should hear a little hmm from the pump for a second or two, check the plugs after you turn it over for a little while, if they are wet then it's a spark issue, if dry, well then it's the pump
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:05 PM
CF Beginner

Well took a look at it the pump again and I had slightly remembered not seeing a positive to it and there wasn't. Apparently it was snatched out somehow. Do you think I should move it back under the car near the gas tank or leave it where it is when I replace the pump?
Old February 18th, 2014, 9:09 PM
CF Junior Member

well the original pump was in tank, the pump does have to work a little harder near the motor, but it's easier to get to, it's totally up to you