Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Caprice PPV questions

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2013 | 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Caprice PPV questions

Hey guys, so I bought a 2011 Caprice PPV Detective but I'm having a real hard time digging up any info on this car or finding any boards.

I would like to swap out the wheels as they are steel with wheel covers and I'd like to use Chevy wheels. I rent Impalas every now and then and I noticed the Impala LTZs have an 18" wheel and the bolt pattern looks identical but I wasn't sure if these would be a direct swap as the Caprice wheels have the pressure sensors.

Also, I would love to be able to hook up an ipod as I'm using the FM transmitter but the sound quality is terrible. I was wondering if the head unit would swap with the G8 ones or if maybe I should wait for the SS to come out and pay an arm and a leg for one of those head units assuming they are the same. I'm not electrical genius but I was thinking maybe I could wire up something myself too. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old March 17th, 2013 | 6:12 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by LiftdT4R
Hey guys, so I bought a 2011 Caprice PPV Detective but I'm having a real hard time digging up any info on this car or finding any boards.

I would like to swap out the wheels as they are steel with wheel covers and I'd like to use Chevy wheels. I rent Impalas every now and then and I noticed the Impala LTZs have an 18" wheel and the bolt pattern looks identical but I wasn't sure if these would be a direct swap as the Caprice wheels have the pressure sensors.

Also, I would love to be able to hook up an ipod as I'm using the FM transmitter but the sound quality is terrible. I was wondering if the head unit would swap with the G8 ones or if maybe I should wait for the SS to come out and pay an arm and a leg for one of those head units assuming they are the same. I'm not electrical genius but I was thinking maybe I could wire up something myself too. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

No idea on the wheels . Personally , if they are round & true & do not leak air , I would run them . Maybe clean them and paint them or get some wheel covers that " look better " . I bet the 18" wheels & tires run ROUGH ?

I recently installed a single DIN radio , CD player ( with mp3 & wma capabilities ) in Wifey's 1996 Lumina . You can plug in any audio device that uses the little cable that has " earphone " jacks on either end .

And a Double DIN radio , CD , DVD , USB , SD player in my company 2008 Silverado . Plays almost everything . Then added a license plate back-up camera .

Bought it off of EBay , from Red China .

God bless
Wyr
Old April 10th, 2013 | 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Try the G8 wheels, I'm running a set of those in 18's since I wanted to keep my RSA's for the time being. They do accommodate the TPMS sensors, mine are working fine.

The stereo can be used but takes some mods we're finding out. The unit is actually the Holden iQ, there were a few different versions of it. We have the version that was fitted to the VE/WM cars with the basic Omega interior. That means just AM/FM/single CD for the moment. Most of the rest of the options were disabled. Some can apparently be re-enabled through programming, others (like the 12-CD ripping function) are not able to be used since GM did not include the memory on-board the radio's motherboard. Nav is only for Oz right now, it uses the Navteq maps. Some of the G8 stuff will interchange, other parts won't. The G8 radio specifically will not interchange to the Caprice, don't try that or you'll blow your money. We're finding on the radios that you can go down a generation (iQ unit into a G8 can work with mods) but not the other way.

The Caprice owner forums are over at www.newcaprice.com and there's a good bunch of people there that can answer many more questions on the car. Congrats on your purchase!!

Eric