Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Caprice springs

Old November 5th, 2006, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caprice springs

Hey guys another question this time about Suspension,

Seeing as I'm setting up my Caprice as a racecar I need to run a couple different Spring sizes to get the car to corner, What I would like to know is if anybody knows part numbers or springs to look for so I can run bigger springs on the right and smaller on the left so it'll corner better. Thanks lol again ASAP I'm making weekly trips to the salvage yard til the snow hits the ground(any day now) and the temp hits -20(going to happen soon)
Old November 7th, 2006, 5:31 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Caprice springs

the caprice is a heavy car so a easy way to boost gas mileage and torque is to just....loose weight. on my 92 305 caprice I took out the back seats and is currently converting to lighter bucket seats. change the stock wheels to lighter rally's, and I dis-abled the rear doors to not funtion. I removed the rear door components, like the window motors and panels. once I did this to mine it changed in performance and looks. I like seeing the faces on other caprice owners when I pull up here in detroit.lol a good place to shop for some racing parts is summit racing. check them out at summitracing.com. hope I helped guy..
Old November 12th, 2006, 5:04 AM
CF Active Member

interesting info about your car hitman, but i don't think this did anything but tell us more about your car. the guy is lookin' 4 info on springs, not boost his gas mileage or turn it into a sleeper. that said, it does sound like your car catches them by surprise, which is the key to getting the last laugh.
Old November 12th, 2006, 5:47 PM
CF Active Member

he posted on a different forum about getting better gas mileage on his caprice. so I simply aswered his other question. my car is somewhat a sleeper because you cant see nothing inside with my tinted windows. the outside of my car is as regular as can be. what I really meant was seeing their face when then finally pull up to me. lol
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:09 AM
CF Active Member

gotcha.
Old November 18th, 2006, 2:08 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys but remember this is a racecar(no stock interior, just a racing seat,roll bar, and safety straps)
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:22 AM
CF Junior Member

86 caprice. I race cars at a 1/2 mile asphalt track. I could help you out tremendously. I need to know if your running dirt? what size track? and what your rules say as far as suspension? why a caprice? a G Body would've been more practical... anyway if you a good starting point is to run a 1200LB spring in the rf, 900 in the LF,250RR, 200LR.Racing springs are about 60 bucks a piece and well worth it. I use Afco but you can find more inexpensive brands.AFCO Racing Products. Cut your springs to get your car as low as your rules allow. If you dont want to buy racing springs find the stiffest spring you can for the RF. You can roughlytell how stiff or soft a spring is by looking at it. A spring is a coiled torsion bar so the more material the more give. So a 4 coil spring will generally be stiffer than a 5 coil spring. The more space in between the coils the stiffer it is because its less material. So if you have 2 springs with 5 coils the taller one is stiffer as long as the wire diameter(thickness of material)is the same. The wire diameter is the most obvious thing to look at when it comes to stiff or soft spring. But a thicker wire diameter spring with 6 coils might be softer than the spring with smaller diameter wire and only 4 coils. Defenatly put the springs right next to each other to to decide. Dont Be afraid to get front springs out of a 1 ton chevy pick up and cut it down. the springs dont have to come out of a caprice as long as it seats in the pockets its good. I have alot more info to make that thing handle. camber caster, toe, tire pressures, weight location, sway bar... holla at ya boy