Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Constant problem with distributor

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2011, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constant problem with distributor

Hello everyone, I am new here so please if I leave anything out let me know. Thanks for all efforts to help.

I currently own a '94 Chevy Caprice LS. I've had it for approximately two years I believe. It seems that every time I drive in the rain or go through small puddles the car begins to act strange. First it will stutter once or twice and then you can feel it begin to shake under the hood. This only ever last maybe 45 seconds but it repeats over and over again until I get home. Sometimes not allowing me to go that far and it will shut off. If I make it home within a few days, of course, it just won't start.

I've had the distributor replaced 4 or 5 times already. The water pump has been replaced twice. I believe I've also had the belts, battery cables, and ignition module changed. I don't understand what's happening when it rains or how to make it stop doing it. It rained Christmas and after making it home it has began to stutter almost everyday that we drive in it. I'm hoping it doesn't quit again but ugh! What's happening?

Thanks for all the help!
Old January 15th, 2011, 6:35 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...the mechanics you hiresd put new dietributors in and didnt seal them for you? if you go in complaining about moisture getting in, an honest mechanic would clean up the contacts inside and siliconed it for you so it doesnt happen again, thats all u have to do...just silicone it, also put dielectric grease on wire teminals as extra insurance
Old January 16th, 2011, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

really??? that's all! Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely check in with a mechanic Tuesday. and ask for what you said. I can't thank you enough as we've already put $2000 dollars into this car.
Old January 16th, 2011, 11:09 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, no problem, im glad i could help, i ran into this problem a lot when 4x4ing
Old May 16th, 2011, 1:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Make sure the Opti-Spark vent hose at the top of the dist.Cap is connected to the intake air elbow and not plugged up blow through it to be sure it is clear as the intake air draws/sucks any moisture out of the dist.assembly.
CC