Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Difference of regular and police brakes on 1991 Caprice?

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2020, 6:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference of regular and police brakes on 1991 Caprice?

I bought a 1995 Buick Roadmaster some time ago. The car has 2" lowering spindles on front, and I'm trying to get it back to original height. I bought used spindles from 1991 Caprice, in hope of I could swap just the spindles.

First, I removed the lowering spindle from the car, and then I installed the regular spindle in place. No issues there. Then I couldn't bolt the caliper on the spindle, since the guide pins I removed from the lowering spindle, didn't fit the regular spindle, it was too thick.

I took a look at rockauto.com catalog, and found out there was two variations available for some brake parts, 'regular' and police. It looks like the guide pin for regular brakes is 10mm diameter and police is 14mm. So, I'd guess that the lowering spindle has police brakes and the regular spindles I bought, have regular brakes. Not 100% sure though.

From the catalog I found out that there are different different calipers, brake pads, and guide pins, but the guide pin bushings are all the same. I'm now wondering, what are the differences between police and regular brakes, and could I bolt the police caliber to regular spindle, if I just bought those smaller guide pins (since the guide pin bushing was the same)?
Old June 16th, 2020, 12:09 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by gunslinger
I bought a 1995 Buick Roadmaster some time ago. The car has 2" lowering spindles on front, and I'm trying to get it back to original height. I bought used spindles from 1991 Caprice, in hope of I could swap just the spindles.

First, I removed the lowering spindle from the car, and then I installed the regular spindle in place. No issues there. Then I couldn't bolt the caliper on the spindle, since the guide pins I removed from the lowering spindle, didn't fit the regular spindle, it was too thick.

I took a look at rockauto.com catalog, and found out there was two variations available for some brake parts, 'regular' and police. It looks like the guide pin for regular brakes is 10mm diameter and police is 14mm. So, I'd guess that the lowering spindle has police brakes and the regular spindles I bought, have regular brakes. Not 100% sure though.

From the catalog I found out that there are different different calipers, brake pads, and guide pins, but the guide pin bushings are all the same. I'm now wondering, what are the differences between police and regular brakes, and could I bolt the police caliber to regular spindle, if I just bought those smaller guide pins (since the guide pin bushing was the same)?
You likely have the police package IMO. So yeah, you will need to replace like with like on your old Caprice.
Old June 28th, 2020, 5:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input, but I can't have a police package since I don't have a Caprice. I have a Buick Roadmaster, and they never came with police package. I have only spindles from Caprice. And I would like to find out, what all key differences with 'police' and 'regular' brakes on that era Caprice's.