Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Hello from mew Zealand

Old December 14th, 2016, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from mew Zealand

I'm looking at a 87 caprice wagon, got a 305 carburettor in it can anyone tell me the pros and cons and what to look for in it please
Old December 14th, 2016, 3:40 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Nothing to add, certainly is not a hot rod with a 305. What do you want it to do?
Old January 22nd, 2017, 2:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some time in that rough time span , Chevy used a carb with some electronic control to attempt to control emissions . ( I am thinking back to a 81 Impala we had . ) At least in the USA models .

Ours had an overdrive automatic & would get 20 + MPG on the highway . Which was pretty good for a full size car & V-8 .

It had a smog air pump , feeding air to both exhaust manifolds . Each of those lines had what I took to be a check valve . When those corroded & begann to leak exhaust , it began to blow black smoke & burn more gas . Replaced the defective parts & the car went back to " normal " . My guess is the leak / defective part was throwing the " computer " baf information & the " computer " was misadjusting the fuel mixture ?

As time & the miles went but , I had to replace some suspension parts / bushings . But I figures that was normal wear & maintenance .

Over all , we liked the car . Gave it to our oldest boy as a wedding present . He drove it for a few years .

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread