Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Impala SS suspension on 87 Caprice?

Old January 25th, 2006, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impala SS suspension on 87 Caprice?

Hello people,

I'm mulling the idea of nabbing this '87 Caprice two-door, which I intend to turn into a low-cost project (Caprices are abundant in this country and parts are CHEAP!)
The car is pretty battered, but nothing major (you know, the usual scuffs and dents, clunky engine noises... etc.) So here's my first question:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that both pre- and post-1990 Caprice/Impala models are B-platform cars. So my initial questions are 1) would I be able to fit a front suspension/rear axle from a 1991-96 Impala on a pre-1990 Caprice without any heavy modifications? and 2) How about an engine/tranny from a Suburban 2500? (that's 7.4 liters!)

Shady
Old January 24th, 2007, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Impala SS suspension on 87 Caprice?

I found this post and I see it's almost a year old so maybe this message will be lost in history but I'm I've also got a '87 Caprice 2dr and am putting a 454 in it. You get anywhere with yours since your post? Reggie.
Old January 25th, 2007, 5:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Impala SS suspension on 87 Caprice?

Wow! Thanks for the belated reply!
I never even got to buy the car. Instead, I bought a GMC Typhoon which cost me an arm and a leg barely to keep running, and my mechanic ended up driving it more than I did! For a breif time, I regreted not buying the Caprice, but hell, I learned my lesson with used cars in this country. No more. I ended up leasing another Mazda 6 (this time with a manual tranny) besides my existing one. At least a new car stays on the road!
Best of luck with your project. Keep me posted.

Shady