Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

My 68 Caprice

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2008, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 68 Caprice

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 1968 Caprice with a stock 396 motor/4 barreland I just wanted some suggestions on how to get more power out of her. The car is BONE stock besides the chrome 22s I've put on her. This boad is very informative and I've read some posts regarding intakes and exausts regarding newer Caprices but i was wondering do the same principles apply to older cars? I'd like to clean up the engine bay and I was wondering if you guys knew where I could find the chrome valve covers and air filter. I was looking into getting flowmasters put on, but one of my friends informed me that I should get the engine tuned up before that step. I guess my question is which bolt on parts should I start with? I'll post pics when I can figure it out, lol...

Any help appreciated. Great Site!!

More pics can be seen here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2915111
Old February 26th, 2008, 6:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: My 68 Caprice

Congrats on the purchase. That's a gorgeous car. CLASSIC INDUSTRIES has a whole catalog of Impala and Caprice parts. I think that would be your best bet. You can shop online at classicindustries.com, but you might also want to buy their catalog. It's about an inch thick and has basically everything you might need. JC Whitney is another obvious choice but I'd go with Classic Industries.
Old March 27th, 2008, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

nice car man and big wheels!
i like this model range of chevrolet.
what did you observe at your choice?
you want this age of caprice or doesnt matter?
my favourite caprice is the 79 series.

Old April 29th, 2008, 3:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Free flow air filter and a dual exhaust might help increase power aside from opening your engine up and workin' on a complete re-bore with new heads. Oh before I forgot, that is one cool Chevy Caprice you got there man!
Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Your gonna laugh but my dad bought a new Caprice new in 68 (had the 396 too). Real strong motor and turbo 400 trans is tough as hell. The free breath with flowmasters is critical. That old Quadrajet probably needs a kit too or maybe a late model "replacement" carb. The cars in those years also handled like pigs too. I'd be tempted to see about a larger front bar and for sure a rear bar (if yours doesn't have it already). Regardless, congrats on a nice car.