Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

My car is parked and not turning over

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2006, 6:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car is parked and not turning over

Right now my car is parked on the side of the road in a semi secluded place. I'm worried it'll be stolen and I won't be able to afford a tow trunk until Friday. I'll start at the beginning though...

Starting about a month back sometimes when I tried to accelerate the car would stutter. Also sometimes I could feel the cars engine lose power for a millisecond when I would travel at high speeds. It got worse and worse. Recently I had to make a trip over to Vancouver. Before I left I put some fuel injector cleaner in the car to try and deter the problem.
While in Vancouver I clocked 372 k's (231m's) in 2 days of driving. The car stalled a few times while at traffic lights and the stuttering got worse. (That was last weekend)

Now on my way back from the city there is a hill. The speed limit goes from 60 to 90 on the hill (this is Canada). I pressed the gas to accelerate. I was getting no acceleration. I pressed harder. Nothing. I pressed it to the floor and still I was getting no acceleration. I was maintaining speed though. So I'm climbing this hill and my car is starting to slow. I'm keeping some power. Then all of a sudden I hear loud clunking. I start to pull over and then the car just dies and starts smoking.

At first I thought it might be that I was out of oil. My oil light doesn’t work and I hadn't checked it since before Vancouver. So I walked to the gas station and bought some oil. I filled the oil and tried to turn the engine. It wasn't turning over.

It's not the battery because the lights and the CD deck work
My friend said it could be a computer problem…it’s an 89, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t have one.

Anyone of any theories or ideas of what’s wrong?
Old November 4th, 2006, 1:19 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: My car is parked and not turning over

you said you heard something clunk.I doubt its a computer problem. before filling the car with oil how much was in it. and when you say not turning over, maybe that motor locked up on you.....I really cant say without more info.
Old November 4th, 2006, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

I have no idea if the oil was low or not. It was dark and I couldn't see anything. I'm not sure what else to say about it.

The part that gets me is the engine won't turn over. It doesn't even try. All the lights and the cd deck work though
Old November 4th, 2006, 4:09 PM
CF Active Member

if it doesnt try to turn at all, it sounds like a locked up motor to me. sorry.
Old November 5th, 2006, 5:26 AM
CF Beginner

Damn. What does that mean? Lots of money?
Old November 5th, 2006, 4:37 PM
CF Active Member

Im pretty good at cars but not a pro. what I would do is drop in another block start over. in other words...yeah you gonna need money. there's some cats on this site that can explain everything better to you.
Old November 6th, 2006, 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

One of my buddies suggested is to take the spark plugs off and pour a little bit of oil into each cylinder, and let it sit for a bit. You think that'll work?
Old November 7th, 2006, 5:15 PM
CF Active Member

Ive never had the problem your having. you dont have much to lose I guess you can try it.lol. but seriously take some more time and ask the guys in the tech forum. good luck
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

What car is it?
If it happens to have a manuel tranny, I would sugest that you have someone help you, and have him give you a push start and see if that works. Although if the has an auto, then that wouldn't be possible.