Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Needing some information

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2011, 10:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing some information

This is going to be a long post, and i'm going to try not to generalize to much.

But basically when I was 18 I had a 90-91 caprice 9c1. Loved the car till I slid into a telephone pole.

As of now I am driving a 98 ford taurus, and I am missing my caprice more and more every day. So I thought to myself, why not buy a caprice with a blown motor/transmission and fix her up...

Sounds simple, but I have never pulled a motor out of car and I have been looking for a few days on google for some resources that can help me out.

My original plan was to simply drop in a 350, but a little bit of looking got me thinking of the 7.4l 454. I have found a little information and the job looks pretty straight forward.

But I am a person who likes to know every problem I may come across before I get started so I can prepare for the issues.

I have sockets, a nice heated two car garage, a engine lift, and alot of spare time. Just no knowledge, and no clue where to get started. I am not a complete novice when it comes to cars, just have never seen a engine pulled or anything along those lines.

Just need a push in the right direction. Please don't tell me "You can't do it without someone who has done it before", if I wanted that response I would call a mechanic.

Summary, Just want to know the basic's of pulling a motor and installing a new one. Pictures would be helpful.
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:08 PM
CF Beginner

OMG! This is a tall order for writing out in a forum, however there are a few things you MUST consider before you even start this project. First, what year Caprice do you want to convert? You are much better off finding a pre OBD II model (most '95's and all '94 and earlier). I would get either a factory manual for the Caprice, or at least a subscription for the car at www.alldatadiy.com. These will give you most all of the information you are looking for. Instructions aside, you need to worry about cooling a 454 if replacing a small block. You will need to replace the front springs to support the weight of the big block in place of the small block. Accessory mounting (alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor) will most definetly be a problem due to the mounting locations between these engines. You may have to fabricate brackets for these. On the other hand if you are lucky the 454 brackets will work as long as the accessories are in the same locations as the small block. Ignition wiring changing from the water pump driven distributor (if LT1) to a conventional distributor is going to require rewiring. The transmission for the small block probably won't hold up for long if bolted to the big block, especially if you run it hard. You will probably have the 4L60E tranny where you should have the 4L80E. The drivetrain is also going to be a concern. It may bolt up but it isn't made for the power / torque the 454 has. Exhaust will not be a 100% bolt on, unless you plan to install your own custom system, plus the diameter of the original pipes will be a restriction and affect your performance, (this is even true with the small block). Again, unless you install your own custom exhaust system. You will most likely run into problems with the computer, as it is matched engine and emission controls currently in the car, (unless you plan to eliminate them altogether, AND install a T400 tranny. All in all, it can be done. Anything can be done, but it's up to you how much you want to spend in time, money and aggravation. There is alot you can do to the 350 to make it run its butt off, and most none of what I posted will be a concern. I have replaced engines, but never did what I think you plan to do. I know this is up to you, but you are going to save yourself alot of headaches if you just drop in another "worked" small block. Try for a pre '95 LT1. 10:1 compression ratio, reverse cooling and lots of mods available to make them run. You would be surprised. I owned one and there is alot you can do to that engine. Add a gear change to 3:73 too. You will be amazed at what a 4000 lb car can do. Good Luck with your project!

Hope this helps,

Jack
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jack0723
OMG! This is a tall order for writing out in a forum, however there are a few things you MUST consider before you even start this project. First, what year Caprice do you want to convert? You are much better off finding a pre OBD II model (most '95's and all '94 and earlier). I would get either a factory manual for the Caprice, or at least a subscription for the car at www.alldatadiy.com. These will give you most all of the information you are looking for. Instructions aside, you need to worry about cooling a 454 if replacing a small block. You will need to replace the front springs to support the weight of the big block in place of the small block. Accessory mounting (alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor) will most definetly be a problem due to the mounting locations between these engines. You may have to fabricate brackets for these. On the other hand if you are lucky the 454 brackets will work as long as the accessories are in the same locations as the small block. Ignition wiring changing from the water pump driven distributor (if LT1) to a conventional distributor is going to require rewiring. The transmission for the small block probably won't hold up for long if bolted to the big block, especially if you run it hard. You will probably have the 4L60E tranny where you should have the 4L80E. The drivetrain is also going to be a concern. It may bolt up but it isn't made for the power / torque the 454 has. Exhaust will not be a 100% bolt on, unless you plan to install your own custom system, plus the diameter of the original pipes will be a restriction and affect your performance, (this is even true with the small block). Again, unless you install your own custom exhaust system. You will most likely run into problems with the computer, as it is matched engine and emission controls currently in the car, (unless you plan to eliminate them altogether, AND install a T400 tranny. All in all, it can be done. Anything can be done, but it's up to you how much you want to spend in time, money and aggravation. There is alot you can do to the 350 to make it run its butt off, and most none of what I posted will be a concern. I have replaced engines, but never did what I think you plan to do. I know this is up to you, but you are going to save yourself alot of headaches if you just drop in another "worked" small block. Try for a pre '95 LT1. 10:1 compression ratio, reverse cooling and lots of mods available to make them run. You would be surprised. I owned one and there is alot you can do to that engine. Add a gear change to 3:73 too. You will be amazed at what a 4000 lb car can do. Good Luck with your project!

Hope this helps,

Jack

Think were focusing on the 454 part a bit much here, it was a idea. In reality Its going to be a case of drop in a 350 just wanted to know where to find some basic info on it before I go and drop a few thousand....

But thanks for your response, really appreciate it.
Old November 29th, 2011, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

No problem at all. I can understand the 454 idea. It can be done, but it is not going to be a drop in replacement. but in any event - that would be sweet!! Your best bet is to get the subscription to ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information. It will step you through the entire engine removal process. There are alot of little things to be carefull of, which they point out, and some, if not most of what your see when you look at the engine is pretty straightforward - just make sure you know where all your wiring and brackets go back on. Mark them or take pictures so you don't forget (been there / done that). And of course you can come in here and ask questions if there is someing that isn't quite clear. Don't get me wrong, I am not being evasive to your question, but even though an engine swap is not that bad a job, there is alot involved. The main thing is having the room and right equipment. Sounds like you have both. Once you remove the hood and drain ALL fluids from both the engine and tranny (remove drive shaft too), it's not to bad. You will see all the cables, wires, linkage etc. that need to be disconnected. I pull the rear wheel drive engines with the trans bolted to the engine, but it can be removed alone by unbolting the trans and torque convertor and lifting just the engine out. There are mant steps in between I left out, but they should be pretty obvious. Again, good luck,

Jack