Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Sagging door 1992 Caprice

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2017, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sagging door 1992 Caprice

Hi,

I am trying to replace the door hinge/bushings for the sagging driver side door. I cannot tell if I need to push the pin out from top or bottom. The top bushing is completely worn out and the pully looking thing is pushed over. Has anyone ever replaced one of these?

Old July 11th, 2017, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

I have not personally replaced pins and bushings on that particular year so this is going to be somewhat of a guess.

Judging by the picture I would say the pin would be pushed out from the bottom.

Before I would attempt removal I would get a spring compressing tool like this;
https://www.amazon.com/Door-Spring-Compressor-Light-Trucks/dp/B0025CXPYY https://www.amazon.com/Door-Spring-Compressor-Light-Trucks/dp/B0025CXPYY

It will make removal and installation a LOT easier without having to worry about the spring flying into the car, across the driveway or shop, or into someone's eye.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I've changed quite a few pins and bushings over the years. Just not this exact one.
Old July 12th, 2017, 6:16 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get someone to help get the bushing out, but the replacement I had gotten at the auto store was not the right one, so we just put the old one back. Now someone else is saying maybe the whole hinge needs replacement. But to me, that worn thing at the top looks to be causing the problem. The plastic roller part is completely gone so now it just bumps up against the metal. Any thoughts? Parts for this age car are hard to come by.
Old July 12th, 2017, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

Yup, I've had vehicles where the detent roller messed up pretty much like yours.

Unfortunately a replacement hinge is about your only option if you want to keep the detent feature (door holds open in position).

What I've done on a few is simply remove the spring and cut off the detent arm that goes against the roller. (Keeps it from flopping around and getting jammed between the body and door.)

Granted it isn't the most 'Kosher' way of doing it, but it at least gets the door to be functional, albeit without the 'luxury' of having the door hold itself open in 2 different positions.

Hopes this helps.
Old October 5th, 2017, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

I was just in the Classic Industries catalog for Caprices. They have hinges there, though I didn't check the years. Check section H of the catalog.