Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Swapping a 350 for a 454 big block

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2009, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping a 350 for a 454 big block

Hi everyone,

I have a 1990 chevy caprice with 5.7L 350 engine. I wanted to swap it out for a 454 big block. I wanted to know what adjustments do I need to make if I want to get a 454 on my car?

I would really appreciate it anyone can help me with this.

thanks
Old June 2nd, 2009, 6:38 PM
CF Junior Member

WOW! "Adjustments".....I won't call it adjustments.....how about REPLACE EVERYTHING!! :>)
You're taking on QUITE a project.....
The entire big block drive train should be installed, not just the motor. Then there's motor mounts, trans mount and cross member, drive shaft, differential, suspension upgrades....wow....I'm getting tired just typing all of this....LOL!
You gotta remember....modifying is a balancing act.....when you take away a small block V-8 and install a BIG BLOCK V-8, what is it going to do to the rest of the drivetrain?
One thing you might consider.....find a early to mid 70's Caprice. They were opinioned with the 454 so you'd have everything you'd need. Or if you go back even farther, Chevy made Caprice's and Impala's with 396's and 427's!! Now THAT'S a drivetrain!!

I know "bigger is always better", but the things you can do with a Chevy small block....I know....I own one. I have a friend that spent BIG bucks putting together a 68 Camaro SS 396, 4spd. He smiled at me and said," You're gonna need a roadmap to keep up with me!" I smiled back and told him, "It's not always what's under the hood that matters as much as what's between you're legs!" Nope....he's NEVER beat me! God knows he tries. Have fun with the small block that you have....or find a B-body with a big block already there.....whatever you do...HAVE FUN!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 6:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed pretty big project!
Old June 3rd, 2009, 1:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Agreed....I try never to tell anyone not to do something.......if it's too much of a project, they'll find out for themselves....