Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Transmission Clicking

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2014, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Clicking

Hi All,

New to the forums, registered as I'm hoping someone can help with a transmission issue. I have a 305TBI motor with the 700R4. I don't drive the car daily so I don't know the exact start of this issue, however its been at least 5 years since I first heard it. When my engine is running there's a ticking noise coming from somewhere near the bell housing. It does vary with engine speed and it does not go away under load (it does get drown out but it's still there).

My research so far suggests a bad flex plate or loose torque converter bolts. I've inspected the flex plate and don't see any obvious damage and the bolts are tight.

I did a fluid and filter change a while back and noticed, because i didn't tighten the pan enough, that the noise got significantly louder. When i tightened up the pan it went back to its original level.

I've read that there could be an issue with the pump inside the transmission but I don't have any way of verifying. Any suggestions? Thoughts? If you're in/near San Diego, CA i'd be happy to bring it somewhere for a listen.

Thank you,
Spencer

PS, it has the cable linkage with the TB for the kick down. I don't think that'll help diagnose, but it may tell the model of the transmission.