Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

2012 Captiva electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2016, 8:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...did you read the post I made just above yours???
Old March 7th, 2016, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Sure have, have read/researched just about everything I can on this issue. Figured it is cables, battery sensor, or PCM and would replace my self but, car was a CPO purchase and has plenty of warranty, so trying to get local GM service center to agree with me and fix this, is like pulling teeth out of a rabid grizzly bear.
Old March 8th, 2016, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

I've seen as little as .3v drop on the battery cable cause issues on captivas. If they ran it on a hoist and had the scanner hooked up I would sure hope someone was smart enough to check the charging system but by the sounds of it they just booted it since they couldn't duplicate.

Any intermittent electrical anything on a captiva first thing I do is voltage drop the battery cables and 95% of the time that's been the problem
Old March 9th, 2016, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks cleveland63b. Hard to believe that a drop as small as .3v would cause such an issue but, the way things are going and other complaints Captiva owners have had, it doesn't surprise me at all. Have also read something about a battery sensor being spliced into the cable harness, any thoughts? Your correct about them not duplicating anything so they kicked it out the door. Going back in this Friday and I will be basically telling them what's what. Will post "findings" here once I get done dealing with them.
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's time for a recall

It's disheartening to see 11 pages on this thread alone, of the electrical issues with this car. I have spoken to Chevrolet directly. While they offered a courtesy diagnostic check, the outcome was far from helpful. I've replaced the battery three times in three years. This is all becoming ridiculous. Since Chevy won't do the safe thing and issue a recall, I think it's time we file complaints and force a recall. For US owners, the complaints can go through www.nhtsa.gov or by calling them at 1-888-327-4236. I'm told you can also contact the NTSB as well. I can no longer throw money down the drain and continue to put my family's safety on the line, nor will I allow Chevy too. We have to call. With this being a fleet only vehicle, I believe Chevy is using the small number of these vehicles on the road, as an excuse to not issue a recall. Please keep your fingers crossed for me that when I turn off my car, as I've just arrived to work, that the key doesn't get locked in the ignition and that I can lock it up with the remote! Best of luck to you all.
Old March 10th, 2016, 6:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm Done

After 2 years I'm done. It started with changing the battery cable clamps because of the traction control and radio issues. Then it progressed to the 1000 alternator replacement. Then we started with the key locked I the ignition which quickly progressed to almost 3-4 a week it would do this. Then the car randomly wouldn't start. But the battery tested fine. Enough is enough I took it and traded it in. I no longer could trust a 4 year old vehicle with 60000 miles to do more than in town travel for fear of it having problems. Such a shame Chevy because for the first time in my life I switched car companies and bought a ford.
Old March 10th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by aivani79
It's disheartening to see 11 pages on this thread alone, of the electrical issues with this car. I have spoken to Chevrolet directly. While they offered a courtesy diagnostic check, the outcome was far from helpful. I've replaced the battery three times in three years. This is all becoming ridiculous. Since Chevy won't do the safe thing and issue a recall, I think it's time we file complaints and force a recall. For US owners, the complaints can go through Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) or by calling them at 1-888-327-4236. I'm told you can also contact the NTSB as well. I can no longer throw money down the drain and continue to put my family's safety on the line, nor will I allow Chevy too. We have to call. With this being a fleet only vehicle, I believe Chevy is using the small number of these vehicles on the road, as an excuse to not issue a recall. Please keep your fingers crossed for me that when I turn off my car, as I've just arrived to work, that the key doesn't get locked in the ignition and that I can lock it up with the remote! Best of luck to you all.
Hi aivani79,

Your safety is very important to us and we’re terribly sorry to hear you’re experiencing such frustrations with your vehicle. We certainly do not want this to be your lasting impression of our brand. Since you mentioned speaking with our Customer Assistance Center, please feel free to private message us your case number or VIN. We’d be more than happy to review it in greater detail and further document this on your behalf.

Kindly,

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 10th, 2016, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Customer Care, instead of just requesting info for documentation purposes, why doesn't GM properly instruct your service centers on these known issues? How about sending out a Service Bulletin? A recall will never get issued due to the low number of vehicles produced or until these issues cause a serious accident or death.
Old March 11th, 2016, 8:46 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick
Hey Customer Care, instead of just requesting info for documentation purposes, why doesn't GM properly instruct your service centers on these known issues? How about sending out a Service Bulletin? A recall will never get issued due to the low number of vehicles produced or until these issues cause a serious accident or death.
Hello Slick,

Through case documentation, we are able to recognize patterns with our vehicles and services. We utilize this information for future improvement within our company. Additionally, we do rely heavily on our certified Chevrolet dealerships within the field. Once a vehicle is diagnosed, that data is recorded within our internal database and is used to determine service announcements and recalls. For this reason and more, we do genuinely appreciate your feedback.

Kind regards,

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 12th, 2016, 6:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default What a joke

I traded my piece of junk craptiva since i had to keep paying out of pocket every time I brought it in for all the same problems on this message board. The final straw for me was getting stranded in a parking lot in the dark with my young special needs son. Yes.... I was upside down on my loan - I just had the balance added onto the loan of my new car. Chevrolet will wait until someone is killed or seriously injured and a lawsuit is brought against them before they take any action. Pathetic !

Quick Reply: 2012 Captiva electrical issues