Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

HVAC not working

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2018, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC not working

So, tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it for about 15min, reconnecting and that didn't help. I'm really hoping the stupid electronic actuator isn't kaput. Does anyone know how much a dealer charges to diagnose and swap them out? I tend to hate these kind of repairs as you tend to have to pull half the dash. But if it's like $500 I guess I'l suck it up and do it. I don't even know the part #'s though or if for sure that's the problem.

Seems a mix of cold and hot air blow from the floor vents and window defroster vent.

Captiva in question is a 2014 LT model btw.

Last edited by Bowtie84; July 15th, 2018 at 7:33 PM.
Old July 15th, 2018, 8:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie84
So, tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it for about 15min, reconnecting and that didn't help. I'm really hoping the stupid electronic actuator isn't kaput. Does anyone know how much a dealer charges to diagnose and swap them out? I tend to hate these kind of repairs as you tend to have to pull half the dash. But if it's like $500 I guess I'l suck it up and do it. I don't even know the part #'s though or if for sure that's the problem.

Seems a mix of cold and hot air blow from the floor vents and window defroster vent.

Captiva in question is a 2014 LT model btw.
500 to $700 dollars at a dealership.
Old July 21st, 2018, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

Any idea which actuator would cause this specific failure? Cost of part and or any documentation on replacing it?
Old July 21st, 2018, 7:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You say the HVAC is not working. Be more specific. Is it blowing hot air or nothing at all? Is the compressor kicking on? Are all the vents not working?
Old July 21st, 2018, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

Compressor is on and stays on, air comes though the defrost and floor vents only, air is not really cold once coolant comes up to temp as I'm pretty sure it's mixing the cold air from the A/C and hot air from the heater core. "It's like a snow man breathing on you" Cooler than ambient, but just barely. Yet the compressor is doing all it can, tons of water coming out the A/C condensation drain line. And like I said previously wont change to any other vents no matter how you adjust the settings.
Old July 21st, 2018, 1:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Sounds like you might have a problem with the blend door actuator and the mode actuator. Good Luck.