Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

02 Cavalier fuel pump will not power on

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2013, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Cavalier fuel pump will not power on

the fuel pump in my cavalier will not power on at all. I know it is good because i hook a direct 12 volt line from the battery to the pump and it powered right on. I have 12v all the way from the battery to the harness and all the way through the harness to the plug that connects to the fuel pump. Any other reasons why the pump will not turn on?
Old January 29th, 2013, 1:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Fuse, or relay. I'd check fuse first.
Old January 29th, 2013, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

fuzes are good, relays are good, like i said i have voltage the whole way through, the fuze has no physical damage and i get 12 volts when testing it, also the relays are clicking on
Old January 29th, 2013, 2:23 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Alston518
the fuel pump in my cavalier will not power on at all. I know it is good because i hook a direct 12 volt line from the battery to the pump and it powered right on. I have 12v all the way from the battery to the harness and all the way through the harness to the plug that connects to the fuel pump. Any other reasons why the pump will not turn on?
I'm confused. You hot wire it direct from the battery and it runs. You hear the relay click, fuse is good.

This is how it works. With key switch on, anti-theft yada yada ok, the fuel pump relay energizes. The normally open contacts close from a fused circuit to energize the pump.

The relay contacts could be burned. Check the +12 volt post from the fused fuel pump relay base with key on for voltage, do you have it? If so, jumper that to the post that goes to the pump, does it run? If so, replace the relay.
Old January 29th, 2013, 3:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Could also be damaged wires from the relay to the pump.
Old January 30th, 2013, 6:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
I'm confused. You hot wire it direct from the battery and it runs. You hear the relay click, fuse is good.

This is how it works. With key switch on, anti-theft yada yada ok, the fuel pump relay energizes. The normally open contacts close from a fused circuit to energize the pump.

The relay contacts could be burned. Check the +12 volt post from the fused fuel pump relay base with key on for voltage, do you have it? If so, jumper that to the post that goes to the pump, does it run? If so, replace the relay.

yeah it all confuses me too. I have 12 volts right at the plug on the harness for the pump. I did a continuity check on the harness and all the wires are good. But one more thing i just remembered.....when i put the key in the one postion ( not attempting to start the engine) i get 12 volts on the meter just for a second and it goes away. Is is supposed to do that?
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problem with my 2002 Chevy Malibu, I have taken fuel pump completely out tested and cleaned connections worked fine until I put it back together. I am stumped it makes no sense at all
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mscorpion75
I am having the same problem with my 2002 Chevy Malibu, I have taken fuel pump completely out tested and cleaned connections worked fine until I put it back together. I am stumped it makes no sense at all
if you get anywhere with it, please message me, id appreciate it
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Alston518
the ecm commands the fuel pump on by energizing the control side of the fuel pump relay.

The fuel pump shouldn't have power unless the f/p relay is closed. It should only be closed for 2seconds at key on and then be off until the engine starts. You are checking on the pink wire, correct?
Old February 3rd, 2013, 6:37 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the ecm commands the fuel pump on by energizing the control side of the fuel pump relay.

The fuel pump shouldn't have power unless the f/p relay is closed. It should only be closed for 2seconds at key on and then be off until the engine starts. You are checking on the pink wire, correct?
Ok then that is right, can you think of any other reason why the fuel pump wouldn't be priming then?

Quick Reply: 02 Cavalier fuel pump will not power on