Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

03 2.2 cranks no start

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2021, 5:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Might be time to run a compression check.....you know, see if maybe something expensive is causing your trouble....

You wrote that you replaced the crank sensor... Was it a new OEM sensor or a junkyard or cheap aftermarket part? Did you check the wiring to the crank sensor for corrosion, etc.?
Old January 28th, 2021, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jiyu
Might be time to run a compression check.....you know, see if maybe something expensive is causing your trouble....

You wrote that you replaced the crank sensor... Was it a new OEM sensor or a junkyard or cheap aftermarket part? Did you check the wiring to the crank sensor for corrosion, etc.?
New from parts store. Connector looked good. Didn't check wiring, as I do not know the specs between wires. If anyone has them that would be helpful. Had continuity between pins on old and new sensor.
Old January 30th, 2021, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also pulled the valve cover to try and see where the cams were at. I believe the cam sprockets are held in place on the cams only by the bolt friction? No keys or anything? Why would this be a good idea? But any who, based on pictures I see that when #1 cyl (closest to passenger side?) Is at tdc, the exhaust triangle on cam sprocket nearest firewall will be pointing about 10 o'clock while the intake diamond on the cam sprocket will be pointing approx 2 o'clock.

I couldn't get this configuration and unfortunately only one colored link was seen. Guessing the other markets wore off. If anyone can confirm the above orientation is correct that'd be great. Will be performing a compression and leak down test soon.
Old January 30th, 2021, 2:36 PM
CF Active Member

Easy way to check cam timing: With the piston at TDC on compression, both valves should be closed.
Old January 30th, 2021, 2:41 PM
CF Active Member

Stick your finger into the exhaust pipe and wipe the inside wall with it - if it comes out oily, 'There's your problem lady.'