Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

03 Cav Making Cracking noise when turning.

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2017, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 03 Cav Making Cracking noise when turning.

My car was sitting for the lasy month due to not having the money to replace the alternator. Right after i had someone put one in i started getting a cracking noise when i turn the wheel. it wasent happening before. its loud and it worries me . It happens when the car is moving and not. Im not sure what it is. If anyone can shed a light on the situation that would be great.
Old March 25th, 2017, 9:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

upper strut bearings may be bad.
my 05 had a noise and memory steer...when i turned and then re-centered the wheels the car kept wanting to pull in the direction of the turn....i would have to pull over turn the wheel the other way to get the wheel to recenter....the upper strut bearings were dust.

if this turns out to be the problem, put in quick strut assemblies. these include new springs, struts, mounts and bearings. the higher cost of the complete assembly is off set by the labour time you save in the install....and you won't have to pay later when the old struts fail. they may also recommend a wheel alignment after strut replacement.