Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1997 cavalier 2.2 rough idle help please

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1997 cavalier 2.2 rough idle help please

Alright I own a 1997 cavalier 2.2 for about a month now it has been running really rough. When idling the car trembles and ocassionaly it stalls. There are times when I turn the car on and go to turn the wheel it starts squelling I checked the power steering fluid and that checked out ok. All of the lights flicker when the car is idling and driving except the c.d player that stays lit. I've heard a whiney noise coming from the alternator just recently but the alternator itself is about 2weeks old. Here's a few things that have been replaced. Starter, alternator, battery, spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, did oil change, water pump put in 7 months ago but seems to be leaking coolant somewhere no puddles have been seen, replaced a fuel injector and cam shaft sensor harness/ wire. Also the o2 sensor was replaced at a shop but they listed my car as a 2000 cavalier ls are the o2 sensors different in that year? Also new bulbs for the headlights. I feel so lost right now also the cavalier still seems to be misfiring. Any suggestions will help and if you need more details let me know. If I think of anything else ill update this thread in a few. Thank you for viewing my post! Also I live in michigan so its cold right now so cold could be a factor. Also at times I smell fuel inside and out.

Last edited by AlumPixon; March 2nd, 2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: forgot to mention fuel smell
Old March 3rd, 2011, 6:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like the only thing you didn't touch is the fuel system. I don't like the sound of the fuel smell. Too much unmetered fuel, maybe? Sometimes the extra fuel could be from the fuel pressure regulator leaking through the vacuum port.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 7:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... water pump put in 7 months ago but seems to be leaking coolant somewhere no puddles have been seen ...
Elaborate, please? Are you loosing coolant? Do you see white smoke coming from exhaust?
Old March 3rd, 2011, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

It's loosing coolant and there is white/gray smoke. Today I also checked my oil and the oil smells like fuel. One of my friends told me it could be the fuel regulator but would that cause the car to run rough and flickering lights?
Old March 3rd, 2011, 9:37 PM
CF Veteran

The fuel pressure regulator was a long shot. You can still check it by unplugging the vacuum hose from the FPR and see if there are any fuel leaking out. The "flickering lights" are probably when the alternator output drops from sudden drops in engine RPM. White, sweet smelling smoke out the exhaust is coolant which will interfere with the combustion. Unburned fuel will then end up in the crankcase and out the exhaust. I kind of think what Segfault is going to say and I concur. An engine teardown is in order to figure out what's blown/cracked.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 9:38 PM
CF Active Member

Likely scenario:

Head gasket is blown or head itself is cracked so coolant gets into one of four cylinders. That cylinder is not working, fuel mixture is not burned and ends up in oil.

Flickering lights is probably unrelated issue.

Edit: EinST was faster.

Last edited by Segfault; March 3rd, 2011 at 9:40 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Segfault
Edit: EinST was faster.
I'd like to say "like minds ..." but actually you were the one who saw the significance of the coolant loss. Good call.
Old March 4th, 2011, 4:49 AM
CF Beginner

Alright thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback. Today I tried to start her up and the battery is dead I'm thinking I bought a bad alternator and I believe I have a blown or crackedx head gasket. I took my cavalier to two different mechanics and they must have overlooked the real problem. Thank you.
Old March 4th, 2011, 7:51 PM
CF Active Member

Nah, noisy alternator and dead battery may point to a short in electrical circuit. Alternator will make noise when made work overtime [because there is abnormal load due a short]. Use a voltmeter to determine if voltage is normal with engine running, it should be around 14 V, tolerance 0.2 V or so.