Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2000 Cavalier Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2012, 1:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2000 Cavalier Won't Start

I bought this car 3 weeks ago and it worked great, til I was trying to find why power window on drivers side wouldn't work. Found out it is the window motor and have bought that. Somehow during the examination process there was an electrical hiccup and the car won't start now. The instrument panel lights up, then everything except the check engine, battery, oil and airbag lights go out. Power windows, locks, radio and interior lights all function. When I turn key on the starter dosn't even click. The battery has been tested, is good and fully charged. All fuses checked and good. New ignition switch was installed. Wiring in column verified and intact. No sticking or jamming of key cylinder. I attempted Passlock Bypass, based on others experience, with no changes occuring. Used OBD II reader and it came back saying "Link error". The battery cables appear intact, all bolts secure and I cleaned all connections. I am learning to do this on my own, as my dad was my mechanic and he passed away last year. Any suggestions, or previous experiences you share, will be greatly appreciated.
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:42 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Since the problem happened after the examination as you called it, retrace your steps and look for a wire that is disconnected, broken or possibly connected to the wrong place.
Old April 17th, 2012, 1:59 PM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although this may or may not be your no-start problem, check your fuses again. The one for the cigarette lighter/accessory plug is what powers the OBD terminal, and lack of power is likely why you're getting a communication error. Does your car have more than one fuse block, and perhaps you missed it?
Old April 17th, 2012, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack the car up. Use a screwdriver on the starter to bypass the ignition switch.
Just connect the big copper post on the solenoid to the small post on the solenoid. See if you can at least make the starter crank. If not, check the ground cable on the block. If it cranks, start following the small wire to see if it's open anywhere. Try to get a diagram to see if it may be the nuetral safety switch. If it doesn't crank and the battery voltage can be measured with a voltmeter on the solenoid, then the starter is bad.
Old April 17th, 2012, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

Oldchevy & Camaro 69 Thank you for your suggestions! Did recheck all wires, connections and both fuse blocks, but only thing I see wrong is the battery end of positive cable connector has some metal wear on the contact surface. The silver metal "crumbled" away so copper colored under layer is exposed. I used a brass brush and cleaned the metal dust away, but it didn't make a difference. Could the the connector maybe be compromised and need replaced?
Old April 17th, 2012, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Workaholic, thank you for that info. Now I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning! Maybe I'll have success! :-D
Old April 26th, 2012, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Camaro 69, workaholic and oldchevy. Just wanted to give a shout out to you 3, with thanks for your suggestions last week! It turned out the issue was a starter relay that didn't exist in the Chilton diagram and repair manual, or in the parts listing at NAPA. I ended up taking it to the retired mechanic that has serviced it for previous owner the past 7 years. He went thru what I had ruled out on it, then spent another little bit checking it and discovered the ghost relay and replaced it. She works beautiful again. He replaced the dead drivers power window motor for me too. After the no start issue happened I was done for this month! =P
Old April 27th, 2012, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

Smile Starting with the little stuff, won't start unless cold

2000 Cavalier, how do you change the Fuel Pump RELAY? Where is it located on the vehicle, and also the fuel FILTER? Love my little car
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ginad
Hi Camaro 69, workaholic and oldchevy. Just wanted to give a shout out to you 3, with thanks for your suggestions last week! It turned out the issue was a starter relay that didn't exist in the Chilton diagram and repair manual, or in the parts listing at NAPA. I ended up taking it to the retired mechanic that has serviced it for previous owner the past 7 years. He went thru what I had ruled out on it, then spent another little bit checking it and discovered the ghost relay and replaced it. She works beautiful again. He replaced the dead drivers power window motor for me too. After the no start issue happened I was done for this month! =P
Hey ginad, I'm running into the same problem. This ghost relay, is that the one found on the upper crossmember by the radiator? Thanks
Old August 4th, 2012, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

Hi HOB1994, I will get ahold of the mechanic and ask him. All I know is it was under hood and not under dash! I won't be able to call him tomorrow, but will let you know what he says.

Quick Reply: 2000 Cavalier Won't Start