Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2000 Engine Hiccups Badly, Sometimes Won't Accelerate

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2007, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Engine Hiccups Badly, Sometimes Won't Accelerate

2000 Engine Hiccups Badly, Sometimes Won't Accelerate

Hi all. I'm afraid my loyal baby might be biting the dust. I bought my 2000 Chevy Cavalier brand new, back in late 1999. It has almost 160,000 miles on it. It has NEVER had a problem believe it or not. I've only had to get normal maintainence done to it (oil change, tune-up, brakes, etc.). Well in late March I had to go on a long road trip from N.C. down to Miami, F.L. Before doing so I had brake work done, an oil change, new fuel filter put on, new spark plugs, and a transmission flush. It got the best gas mileage it has ever gotten on the whole way down, but when I went to drive back home, I filled up at a Sunoco. As soon as I got back on the highway my check engine light turned on for the first time, and my engine started hicupping a little bit. I took it to the nearest AutoZone to have the free engine check, and the guy who did the engine check told me it was probably bad gas and do not worry about it. I drove that tank of gas out, put feul injection cleaner in, then filled up with BP gas. The check engine light went off and there was no more problem.
I got home and had no more problems with THAT (yet), buuut.. my air conditioning died. I had my air conditioning fixed (it cost me over $600), and ever since my air conditioning got fixed, now my check engine light is back on and the car is hicupping badly again. It will not drive in a city AT ALL anymore. If i'm at a stop light, I have to put it in park and press on the gas, otherwise the engine shuts off. This happens rather the AC is on or not, and doesn't seem to get better or worse rather the AC is on or not.
According to the service men, the check engine light is saying "random misfire", however I think it is a worse problem considering I can't even drive my car. My father suspects someone poured a non-gas product into my gas tank. The car is in the shop now but the service men have no idea what's wrong yet. They say my engine looks brand new and doesn't appear to have any problems.
Has anyone else ran across something like this? Could it be due to the new AC service (maybe someone at the garage forgot to do something right)???
The specs on my car are:
2000 chevy cavalier 2 door coupe, standard, automatic transmission, 2 litre engine.
Any advice is greatly appreciated...although i'm considering just selling this car before it screws up worse and buying a new Aveo...

Old June 18th, 2007, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2000 Engine Hiccups Badly, Sometimes Won't Accelerate

*sigh of relief!!!*

It turns out my car is fine. When the AC was fixed, someone knocked one of the sparkplug wires loose and driving it around like that ruined the wire and plug. So I got all new wires and plugs, the check engine light turned off and now it runs normal again. This car sure is one tough monster I tell you.