Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2001 Cavalier with intermittent ABS light on.

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2015, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2001 Cavalier with intermittent ABS light on.

I am working on my step-daughter’s car (it has been in the family since it was new). She is in college and I only get to work on it on Sunday afternoons. It is a 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier, Base model, 2 door coupe, with a 2.2L 4 cylinder engine with 141,000 miles on it. It has a 3 speed automatic transmission and does not have cruise control.
The Check engine light was staying on all the time along with the ABS & Brake lights coming on intermittently (once a week or so), and staying on for 10 -15 minutes. I took it to the local auto parts store and asked them to connect to the OBD2 port and read the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). They found the following codes:
C1214 – ABS Inlet Valve Coil RF Circuit Failure.
C1225 – Left Front excessive wheel speed variation.
C1226 – Right Front excessive wheel speed variation.
C1227 – Left Rear excessive wheel speed variation.
C1228 – Right Rear excessive wheel speed variation.
P0141 – Oxygen sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 2.
P0440 - Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction.
U2140 – Loss of connection with Body Control System (UEC).
I hope the Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction was just from her not tightening the gas cap. The ABS & Brake light were not on today when I replaced the Oxygen sensor and reset the engine codes. While I had the hood up I unplugged and then reseated the plug on the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module). I drove the car around town forabout 15 minutes and none of the dash fault lights came on.
My concern is with the intermittent ABS & Brake lights. If it continues to come on, does this sound like a defective EBCM or do I need to do more diagnostic work? I checked the Inventory of the local salvage yard and they have four 2001 Cavaliers in their yard. If it is bad, can I just get one from another 2001 Cavalier or does it need to be programmed for my specific vehicle? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
David M

Last edited by yjf1535; November 22nd, 2015 at 8:38 PM. Reason: Pasted from Word & some of the words lost their spacing
Old November 23rd, 2015, 7:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the c1214 is probably an ebcm failure. it may work without programming but you will need a scan tool to bleed the ebcm. you could try just replacing the electrical portion of the ebcm then you won't have to bleed it. But it may need both the module and pump. There is also the possibility that a shorted pump circuit could damage the module. If you are not going to diag it, to be safe, replace them both as a unit.

Last edited by tech2; November 23rd, 2015 at 7:11 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tech2, Thank you for your reply. What steps do I need follow to diagnose the pump and module? Thanks again. I will also do some more research on my own. The more I learn about how these systems work the easier it is to make good decisions, rather than just replacing parts. Dave M
Old November 23rd, 2015, 8:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

search identifix for diagnostic testing. You may be able to get a short term subscription. That site will walk you through it and also provides data on what fixed this dtc for others.

I go there for brands i'm not familiar with and they explain the everything very clearly.