Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2001 Cavalier TC light on & will only go 45k/h any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2011, 7:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I didn't flex it while checking for power, should have thought of that though. This morning I'll check, and top up fluid level, then do the check on the plug power while flexing the harness. Thanks tons for all of your help to date. Let you know how things go later today.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

Well took the car for a drive this morning, got it nice and warm. Put it on stands and levelled it up. Checked the fluid level (this time with it running hahaha) and all is well from that perspective. Shut it off and turned the ignition on and with my voltmeter checked the power to the power pin in the connector, then flexed the harness at the connector in every imaginable direction (several times over) and didn't get a loss of voltage. Maybe the connector go banged, and wasn't 100% seated...... don't know. "Me thinks" this may not be over yet, but drove the car several times today, with several stops and starts each time, and no issue at all. I think I'll drive it for the next week or so, and let my wife drive my truck, just in case. Thanks again for all the help, can't thank you enough. If you were closer I'd take you out to "Timmies" (Canadian version of Duncan Donuts / Starbucks combination) for a coffee. Appreciate it.
I'll post again in the next couple of weeks and let you know how things have been. Thanks
Old April 2nd, 2011, 5:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're quite welcome. Maybe the act of reseating the connector wiped the contact surfaces clean. It's always nice to hear of success stories. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old May 15th, 2011, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Well I'm finally ready to call the issue I was having resolved. We've been driving for over a month now and have had no transmission issues. Looks like checking and then reseating the plug fixed the issue (must have gotten hit). Thanks a ton for your help, couldn't have done it without you (unless I was willing or able to part with a bunch of $ at a shop). Thanks again
Old May 17th, 2011, 6:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear. Take care of your 2001 and it'll last quite a while. I just got back from a trip and my rental happened to be a new Honda Accord. What a thoroughly unimpressive POS (hated the exterior and interior which leaves?).