Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2002 Airbag Wrecked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2018, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2002 Airbag Wrecked Windshield

Teenagers!
Girl drives perfect condition vehicle into trailer hitch of truck in front of her. Goes right through the plastic bumper, low speed, and runs into passenger side airbag sensor.
Both airbags deploy and passenger side airbag cover shatters windshield. So now I'm doing the research to put Humpty-Dumpty all back together again (even though I suggested to teenage girl she could join here and search or post). But whatever, I'm the wrench around this house and I'll fix everything when it breaks. Not looking for any advice on airbags! I know they can deploy if not handled properly, I hold nobody responsible for any such malarkey. Have compiled list of components needed to restore vehicle to road worthiness for the girl to purchase, just seeing if anybody knows if I'm missing anything.
Driver airbag
Clockspring
Passenger airbag
Airbag module
Windshield (duh!)
Found everything on ebay for around $180 which includes a module reset service for $40 that claim they can reset the module to pre-deployment state.
Started removing parts, waiting on steering wheel puller to get to the clockspring and having the glass all vacuumed out by the driver before getting under glovebox to remove passenger side airbag and the module, which I believe is under carpet under the passenger seat.
Anybody here have experience dealing with taking any of these parts off, please share.

Or just comment on some other random stuff!

Thanks!